Tyrone Mine: Largest Porphyry Copper Deposit

Burro Mountains Travel Blog

After what seemed like a 'forever' drive, we began descending down towards Tyrone mines, this was a little ways past the Continental divide. The Tyrone mining district, the second largest porphyry copper deposit in New Mexico, is located about ten miles southwest of Silver City in the Burro Mountains of New Mexico. In the earlier centuries, it was mined by the Native American Indians who mainly mined turquoise. The mine is in the Basin and range province along the southern margin of the Mogollon-Datil volcanic field.

Tyrone was an elaborately planned community financed by the Phelps Dodge Corporation with Mediterranean and European styles. It was built in 1915 at a cost of a little over a million United States dollars. A drop in copper prices in 1921 closed the mines and the town was deserted, parts of the pit are currently being reclaimed, hopefully for conservation and future investments.

Matt and I stopped by on the way back when we had a little more time on our hands just to snap a few photos. The view of the mine from a distance is unmistakable, I had the urge to go up but time was pressing indeed. I seem to always be pressed for time when there is something of interest. I should like to return sometime when I have more time to actually sightsee.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

Africancrab says:
We did not have a enough time, we meant to go hiking the Cat walk, turned out it was a little over 4 hours drive from Silver city so we decided to go to Lake Roberts and Pinoss Altos. Thanks for the offer, will do :)
Posted on: Aug 31, 2009
lindaferrara says:
Your last few posts cover the Silver City area very nicely. Hope you enjoyed it! Isn't is a quant little country town? Let me know when you come back and I can suggest some other sites (like the Catwalk, Cliff Dwellings, City of Rocks, etc) - Linda@silvercity-realestate.com
Posted on: Aug 31, 2009