The Continental Divide

United States Travel Blog

New Mexico, 2009

Do you know what the Continental Divide is? Well I did not know what it was until last week when I crossed one in the state of New Mexico, we were driving up the hill when Matt went o' "the continental divide" and I went "what is the continental divide" he goes "I don't know, but there is a sign back there and we can stop". He turned the car around and went right back up hill to the signage on the road and snapped a few shots, the road was clear with no cars and nature gleaming in invitation. I promised to find out more about the Continental Divide when we got into Silver city or 'Google' it.

Well I certainly did not find out much in Silver City because once we arrived in the city, my excitement increased exponentially about seeing the rest of the city.

New Mexico, 2009
Yesterday I sat at my computer in the evening and 'Googled' the information on the Continental divide and found out that the divide exists not only on the continent of America but others too. The Continental Divide of the United States is the natural boundary line separating waters that flow into the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico from those that flow into the Pacific Ocean. The continental divide runs from northwestern Canada along the crest of the Rocky Mountains to New Mexico. Then, it follows the crest of Mexico's Sierra Madre Occidental.

In South America, the Continental Divide lies along the Andes. It is also known as the great divide; it crosses through the states of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. The Continental divide has a trail that shoots north through the desert into the Gila National Forest and the Aldo Leopold Wilderness in New Mexico then It crosses the El Malpais National Monument rising up to  the one thousand year old Zuni-Acoma trade route. Before reaching Colorado, the trail travels through the Cibola National Forest and the Carson and Santa Fe national Forests.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.