Magnificent College Fjord

College Fjord Travel Blog

I woke around 4:00 'cause it was light outside so I closed the drapes and slept 'til 8:30. While Lin slept, I ate in the Horizon and found a spot on the starboard quarter of Lido Deck. The day was clear, bright and pretty warm. Lin and I mis-communicated about where to meet so she sat on the starboard quarter of Aloha Deck for a couple of hours as I was two decks up, each of us waiting for the other. We ate lunch in the Verdi Pizzeria then went back (together!) to the Lido Deck. The day was absolutely perfect, only a few high cirrus clouds; we both got sunburned on our faces as we cruised through Prince William Sound. After lunch, we entered College Fjord. While not as well known, it's much nicer than Glacier bay. It has 5 tidewater glaciers in a row plus a number of hanging glaciers.

I think there are 16 glaciers in all! Lots of sea life, too; otters, seals… The water was as smooth as glass and peppered with icebergs. What a perfect last day of cruising! After we turned to exit the fjord, the best glaciers were on starboard so we went back to our balcony. We could hear the ice fizzing as it released air on melting. This was certainly the nicest day of the cruise. Finally, we left the fjord and turned to the sad job of packing.

Had a drink in the Wheelhouse, dinner, show, then back to the Wheelhouse for one last Remy Martin XO from our friend Richie. Got to the room about 12:30 and it was still light outside. Just for fun, I took a book out onto the balcony, closed the drapes, and was still able to read!

Sea Otter