Intriquing Skagway

Skagway Travel Blog

Skagway

I'd left the drapes open because of the view, so the sun woke me around 4:00. We were still moving so I closed the drapes, went back to sleep, and woke about 7:00 at the dock in Skagway. We ate in the Horizon and left the ship. We were a little way from town so we took a horse-drawn carriage; Lin loves those things and it gave us a nice ride into town plus a guided tour. The young lady driving the rig suggested we visit the "Alaska Wildlife Adventure" so we did that, even though the front was so tacky we would never have entered otherwise. This is a collection put together by a guy named Bob Groff and his wife, Anna. Bob himself led the tour for just Lin and me! At $9.95 per person, he spent well over an hour with us! There are two parts to the collection.

Skagway
The first consists of a bunch of glass-fronted cases filled with "stuff" the Groffs have collected over the years. Much of it, such as Eskimo artifacts he collected while living in the Arctic, was related to Alaska. However, much, such as as some ceramic items his wife had made, were apropos of nothing! It was fun, however, and Bob went into much detail on the history of many of the things. He's led an interesting life! The second part is made up of 40-some stuffed animals that had been shot by Bob, Ann and some friends. They are displayed in natural settings so it's something like a flash-frozen wilderness. Pretty neat and a great experience. We were given chits for free coffee in the Chinese restaurant at the back of the place. Quite an experience and we recommended it to many during the day.

We shopped, had a hot dog from a stand (mine was reindeer, of course) and returned to the ship to catch our tour, a ride on the White Pass and Yukon Railroad. The train stops right across the dock from the ship We were with Ken and Carmen in a car that had room for handicapped people but there were no handicapped aboard so there was a lot of extra room, even though the 15-car train was full. Surprisingly to me, it was permitted to ride on the platform so I rode most of the way out there in order to take pictures.I'd left my parka inside so, in sweatshirt alone, I was pretty cool as we rode through the snow and ice over the summit. The ride was great and the scenery beautiful. The clear skies that had appeared in the morning began to fade but it was still a beautiful trip. This was the shore excursion I'd been most interested in and I loved it!

The train dropped us off in town but Ken & Carmen rode it back to the ship while Lin and I walked a bit. This is a GREAT little town and I didn't want to give it up! Had a nice "Red Star Amber" beer, brewed in Skagway in a sidewalk terrace. I wouldn't mind spending a few days here.

Went directly to bed after dinner to rest for an early arrival in Glacier Bay

This was my favorite town of the whole trip and I'd have liked to have spent more time here. We were told by the young lady who drove us in a carriage into town that the summer population is about 1500 but that it drops to 800 in the winter. While there are a lot of stores and bars for tourists, she told us only one store and one bar are open in the winter; the store only 4 hours a WEEK! This town looks rather like it was the soundstage for an old movie about the gold rush. It sits at the foot of a steep valley and a narrow-gauge railroad, the historic White Pass and Yukon RR, leads out of town. These days, a road connects Skagway to the interior so there were quite a few campers in the campgrounds. The people here were great but, as we continued to learn throughout the trip, that's pretty typical of Alaska.
"Alaska Wildlife Adventure"
Now THATs a snow blower!!
Now THAT's a snow blower!!
White Pass & Yukon RR