Inside Passage

Inside Passage Travel Blog

Probably due to the time change; we woke around 5:00 and got up around 6:00 to a nice but cold day. There's a forward open area on our deck (Aloha) so I checked it out; it's windy as hell! I got coffee for me and tea for Linda from the Lido deck and sat on the balcony as Linda dressed. We saw our first whale, probably an Orca. After hours in the inside passage, we broke out into the Pacific and it was quite rough so the captain went back to the inside passage; they normally do that second stretch inside only southbound. As a result of this detour, we went through a narrow passage just south of Bella-Bella, BC with many bald eagles on both banks. I just loafed around on deck all day; Lin took a nap in the cabin. We dressed (black tie) for dinner, skipped the Captain's reception and sat in the Wheelhouse lounge. We did, however, get our portrait taken. While many on the ship did not dress black tie, all at our table did. The show was a musical called "Pirates" that was shallow in plot but well done, including dancing and acrobatics. Pat, Frank, Lin and I sat in front row center. We went straight to bed afterward.
The Inside Passage extends from British Columbia to Alaska and is really quite beautiful! While it varied quite a bit, for the most part it's quite narrow and, as a result, the water is ralatively calm. There were a few times we were outside in the Pacific and the Gulf of Alaska and then the water kicked up a bit but most of the time there was little or no perceivable motion to the ship. The shoreline was primarily wooded and snow-covered mountains were always in view.  Signs of civilization were few and far between.  The first time we saw a Bald Eagle, it was a really big deal.  By the time the trip was over, we'd seen so many thay made no impression at all.  It's sad how quickly we can become jaded!
Inside Passage