Phu Quoc

Phu Quoc Travel Blog

The next few days were spent in relaxing.  Historically, this is something I have been very bad at.  It turns out that what I really needed was a shady hut on a beach and a nice lady to come and offer me massages each morning.  This is something I will need to bear in mind next time I need to relax.

We ate out a couple of times, including a meal at one of the nicest French Restaurants I have eaten in for a while (I know, I know- but I drank Vietnamese wine, OK?) and a pizza place (I know ��" no excuse this time!).  I can’t remember what either place was called, but I will check in the guide book and review them once I found out.  The first evening, we hired a moto and went to the night market, where I bought some earrings that broke as soon as I got them home, but never mind.

decent mozzy net
 The night market was lovely, and we had some excellent chicken and some beer.  I never quite got used to drinking beer the way that he locals do, which is warm-ish poured over ice.  For a start, my tummy was still very nervous about beer following the “Night of the really bad idea beer” in Ho Chi Minh, and warm lager is not the best anyway.  But the market was nice and I enjoyed myself.

The next day, Iain and I set out to see the rest of the island on the back of the bike, with Iain driving (again) and me clinging on in a mostly decorative helmet (again).  I never did get the courage to learn to corner the things.  We went the whole way down along long beach to the south of the island.

Beach
 After getting a bit lost looking for the Other Resort (I’ll check its name too!), we finally arrived at an even lovelier beach.  The even lovelier beach had a hotel that Iain liked (it was a bit rougher and readier, but on a lovelier beach) and I did not (there was a very aggressive monkey in a very small cage).  We ate lunch there ��" I had tamarind prawns which were really nice.  We set back off, fuelled up, and went back up towards the North of the Island.

One the way back, as I was admiring more of the local dogs (some of which must have French ancestry too ��" there were some long haired dogs with ridges up their back, which made them look even fluffier and slightly mad) and the pepper plantations, a truck veered out of a lane and forced us off the road onto a track.  We hit a very large pot hole and I bumped out of my seat into the air, pulling my shoulder.

View from our room
  It took me most of the journey home to recover from the shock, and I was glad to get back to the beach.

That night, we headed off to the French restaurant and had really lovely food, and Vietnamese wine.  Vietnamese wine is a little vinegary at first but grows on you, and I wouldn’t avoid it in future.

The last day on the island, I sulked a little at the thought of coming back into a British winter, and we headed off after one last swim.  We had lunch at a little café across from the airport, which didn’t have the best selection of food but was OK, and met back up with the people we had met in the Pizza place a few nights ago.  I was very sad to leave.

sylviandavid says:
sounds like fun.... beer over ice.... yikes...
Posted on: Nov 11, 2009