One night in Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

Temple near our hotel
The fligth on Turkish was remarkably trouble free, and I didn't feel sick, whihc was a real score.  And we had a lovely meal at the airport.  Then we got the bus, whihc turned out to be cheap, air conditioned, and heading for exactly where we wnated to go.  I was therefore in an really good mood, and prepared to love everything.  I loved the statues of Gods or dancers - I still don't know which - on teh free ways.  I loved the way the pedestrian bridges had pitched rooves like small temples.  I lvoed the houses, and the flowers and the skyscrapers, and the trucks.  Unfortunately, Iain loved the chance for a nap.  Iain had been to Bangkok many, many times, and describes it as "a bit like London but not in a good way.
Koh San Road
"  This meant that as soon as we got a hotel sorted he decided that was his cue to go and have a nap.  Well, that's a slight exageration.  We went for a walk up a side street, wandered up Khao San, and then had mystery meat on a stick and then dinner first.  The mystery meat was nice, and dinner was Pad Thai which I am addicted to.  The beer - LEo - was nice too.  I had never been to Bangkok before, and was determined to at least have a walk.

The air smelled of lamongrass.  I'd always rather assumed that that is a cliche, and perhaps in the more modern parts of the city it is.  But around where we were it really did. On my wander, I saw some siamese cats, a kick boxing gym, followed a sign that said "short cut to Khao San road" through a bar, and then turned left.
Quiet bit we stayed in
  Then I listened to some loud speakers broadcasting chanting out of some dragons on a temple wall, which was a tad surreal. Humming "one night in Bangkok" to myself, I bought some earrings and found the fortress in teh picture.

Everything was very new, and very different.  My only other trip to Asia was Hong Kong in 2001, where I stayed with ExPats and did ExPat things, like go to the Tennis CLub and eat in hotels.  the handcarts and Tuktuks, the cats and the dragons, were all very new.

This trip, I knew I wouldn't hav etime to explore Bangkok and we treated it very much as a long layover on our way to Siem Reap.  But I really want to explore the city more next time.
Temple
Dragons I saw on my walk
Dragons I saw on my walk
Bangkok Hotels & Accommodations review
Rambuttri Inn
We stayed in teh Rambutrti Village Inn for two nights when we first arrived in Asia. The rooms were spotless and seemed quite reasonably priced, alth… read entire review
Bangkok