Leeds Festival (Saturday)

Leeds Travel Blog

This is a second entry ina row for me wittering on about music, I'm afraid.  You might want to skip a couple of entries and cut to my more sensible thoughts about temples.  If not, bear with me!

On Saturday, the M62 was open. But the car park was even further from the Arena, so we probably didn't arrive that much sooner!  This is a departure for me at gigs and festivals - I normaly make a point of arriving early enough to see the bands I haven't heard of.  But I fairly often go alone, and don't normally have to come in from Manchester so there we go.  We caught the very tail end of the View who were very pleasant.  Pleasant probably isn't a compliment to a band, but it's true.

Considerably more wandering about ensued, and then we watched comedians for a while, including Brendan Burns.
fans

More mooching about, and the tail end of Vampire Weekend.  They were ... OK, I'm sorry.  They were very pleasant.  What is it with modern music that so many bands are pleasant?  It's like Fleet Foxes - who weren't playing - are pleasant  Niceness ensues.  Pleasantness occurs.  Where is the edginess?  The fuzzy guitars?

Or at bare minimum, the mad, mad stage persona?

Oh.  There it is. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs came on, and I fell in love with music again. For a start, they looked like they were having the most fun in teh world.  Karen O danced about like she was just over the moon to be there, and her drummer was officially The Smiliest Man Ever.  Which all sounds like more Pleasantness, and might be, if the music wasn't so much better than anything that had preceeded it.
Main stage
  Maps was stunning, floating over the crowd into the sky.  Date with teh night was amazing.  The new stuff was great.  I was in an absolutely fantastic mood by the time Bloc Party came on.  And they were great too, although I missed a bit of their set waiting for goat curry.  I kind of went off them on the second album, but the new stuff is good and Banquet is amazing live.

Somehow, and I don't know how, we ended up right up near the front for Radiohead.  Now, that said, I could still mostly see people's backs.  I have not been much of a Radiohead fan of late, but live, I am re-coverted.  Even the weird bleepy stuff sounds incredible live.  Thom Yorke, long The Most Serious Man in Music, was relaxed and funny, which surprised both of us a little, but the music was just incredible.
Big wheel
  And he even played Just, which they don't often play any more because it is a Very Old Song indeed.  And in the slow songs, it was like the whole of LEeds was holding their breath.

Except for the Complete Tits behind me.  he Complete TIts were drunk out of their stupid skulls, trying mosh - which is a tricky job to slow Radiohead songs - and shouting "Thom Yorke!" every so often.  They were smashed.  There is no way on earth that they can possibly remember seeing the band.  Which puzzles me.  To spend the weekend at LEeds is hundreds of pounds.  To get that drunk/ drugged rakes time.  They spent hundreds of pounds to stand in a field and get rained on and see amazing bands who they were never, ever going to remember.
Radiohead
  I used to get tipsy at festivals, but I never wanted to waste my cash getting myself to the point where I would try to mosh to slow songs and fall over when the person in front stepped aside.

Yes, I did.  It was funny.

Once they had finished, we walked back to the car.  It took - and I am not exagerating - one and a quarter hours to get back to the car.  ANd an hour to drive home.

Sigh.

And the next day, we had to get up to drive to Edinburgh...

fairground