Binh Chau Hot Springs

Vung Tau Travel Blog

Passenger boat we saw
As both of us had had a busy old twelve months, we decided a little pampering was in order.  Iain had read about some hot springs up the coast a little from HCMC, and I agreed that hot springs sounded like just the thing.

We didn't do a great job of getting up early, and then of course we had to have breakfast.  It turns out that in contrast to my slightly manic style of travelling in Europe, where I am normally alone, travelling with someone made me a lot more relaxed about Having To See Everything Right Now.  So it was reasonably late morning when we managed to flag down a couple of motorbike taxis and go to the hydrofoil port.  he hydrofoil journey was great, and actually, one of the highlights of my trip.
A Hydrofoil
it was great battering down the Saigon river and then the Mekong Delta, especially once we had discovered the little tiny deck we could stand on.  I loved watching the cargo barges come out into the deeper water, and their cargoes being hoisted up onto the ocean going ships in the delta. My dad was at sea, and I think the kinds of ships he had been on were very similar to these ones.

Once we got to Va Tau, we found a motorbike rental place wiht the help of a motorbike taxi guy, and Iain drove whilst I hung on the back.  I realised fairly early on that the helmet was, not to put too fine a point on it, mostly decorative.  Iain realised fairly early on that we could get the motorscooter up to 80k.  This was probably not a good mix, but I was having far too much fun taking blurry photos of the landscape and eeking every time we hit a bump to pay much attention to the mostly decorative hat.
Barges
  The wobbly pictures here are things I saw from the road, adn I am still cross that none of the pictures of buffalo carts came out properly.

We had intended a day trip, but realised that there wasn't enough time.  Luckily, the hot springs had a room left.  Feeling distinctly dusty and sadle sore, especially compared to all the other guests, I was glad to get into the room and settle in.  It was about then that I realised I had left my bikini behind, but luckily, there was a shop where I could buy one.  By this point I had also acquired some genuinely nasty sunburn.  Given the social stigma attached to sunburn in Vietnam, I am sure that I must have looked an absolute mess.  I was glad to get into the hot spring to sort myself out, and at least look as wet as everyone else.
Barges

The resort was quite quiet because of the rainy season, and most of the other guests were vietnamese, including a sort of very loud team building group who were playing silly games.  I felt a little sorry for them havng to team build in the rain, but they all looked like they were having fun anyway.

the hot springs were wonderful.  Iain and I spent the rest of the day soaking, having a massage (I don't speak Vietamese, but I am sure that the masseuse was condoling me for the sunburn at one point!) and eating some very good tamarind fish broth.  Dinner was noisy, because of the team building group having a disco.  We were both worried about how we were going to get any sleep, but they had the disco before dner and were all quiet by ten pm.
Tramp steamers

The next morning we swam until we had to leave and then headed back, in land rather than along the coast.  I tried to take a picture of the giant Christ on the hill and failed.  We had lunch in a little tiny place which doubled as a family's front room, adn where the lady who ran it had to keep telling us what things were and how to eat them. it was great.

Getting back to Van Tau, we returned the motorbike and tried to book a hydrofoil back.  Unfortunately, they were all full because it was the weekend. Tthe only way home was an incredibly tedious five or six hour trip in a mini bus, that was designed as a 15 seater and ended up with 23 people on it.  By the time we got back the sky had opened again, adn the roads were nearly impassable.
Tramp Steamers
  And instead of a nice central ferry port, we were in a bus station on teh edge of twon, miles from anywhere.  For some reason it took us about ten minutes to find a taxi, and I have never been so grateful to a cab driver in my life.  I know that that is what travel is like in most places (see all my rants about trains in the UK, which frankly, aren't much better than that minibus) but gosh, I wish we had been organised enough to pre-book the hydrofoil.   I would have done if I had been on my own, because I am a coward and would have worried how else I was going to get home.  Sometimes, too much relaxation is a bad thing!
Hydrofoil terminal, Vung Tau
Hydrofoil terminal, Vung Tau
From the bike
From the bike
Me, looking less easy rider and mo…
Me, looking less easy rider and m…
Me again, in teh mostly decorative…
Me again, in teh mostly decorativ…
from the bike
gardens
gardens
Vung Tau Hotels & Accommodations review
Bin Chau hot springs
Bin Chau hot springs resort is a hot spring resort (!) near Vung tau. To get there from Ho Chi Minh, you need to get the hydrofoil or the incredibly … read entire review
photo by: karenzhao