Leeds festival (Friday)

Leeds Travel Blog

A sea of people

it probably seems a little strange to start a travel blog about Cambodia and Vietnam in a rock festival in Northern England.  But regular readers will know that I do that sort of thing All The Time, so bear with me.  The Leeds festival was the first thing I did once I finished work for a whopping three weeks, so it belongs in this blog I'm afraid.  And if you aren't familiar with British INdie then the next couple of entries might not be all that interesting I'm afraid.  :(

Iain and I went to the Leeds festival on the Friday and Saturday, but could not get Sunday tickets.  So no, I'm afraid I didn't see Kings Of Leon.  Getting to the festival was a total mission, because the M62 was closed for some reason - you have to love travelling in the UK - and we were both hugely relieved to get to the actual site.

Main stage, sunset
  I was a bit worried walking in, because getting from the car park to the arena was a) an extremely long walk and b) down a very steep slope, and if it had rained I was worried we would never get out again.

The fact I even thought that shows how much too old for festivals I am now!

having actually got into the arena, which felt like hours, we wandered about and caught the tail end of some bands best described as quite nice, and a comedian called Dan Nightingale who was very funny about people who misuse the word literally. We also started to watch the Courteneers, got bored and wandered off.  Sorry and all - I know they are probably the saviours of Indie - perhaps we were in the wrong place for the acoustics?

After that, we saw Hockey, who Iain was keen to see.

i didn't think I had heard of them, but it turned out I recognised three or four of the songs from the radio.  You know, when your traffic alert cuts in or teh interference kicks in just as you were about to hear who the band were. That band. They were very good, and it was a shame the crowd weren't up for dancing.  I think I'd quite like to see them play to their own crowd sometime.

Having lost Iain for a bit, we went to see Maximo Park.  I've wanted to see them for ages, because their debut album is one of my favourite albums ever.  And they were fantastic.  Absolutely fantastic.  The singer puts so much of hmself into the performance that I got snuffly in the sad songs.  Most of them are sad, in fact. And I do so like to pretend to be cooler than that.

roof of the second stage tent

Having lost Iain for another bit, and bought a pink raincoat, we went to see Prodigy.  I should have made a bigger effort to barge down the front, because from the back they were a smidge lacking in atmosphere.  And edge.  ANd they shouted a lot. Now I realise they always have - and that I am now old - but sthat's not what I mean. I saw Massive Attack recently and adored them.  It's just that Prodigy failed to catch me this time.

After a lot of thought, we decided to see Gossip rather than the Arctic Monkeys. The Gossip were a smidge late on stage, and I believe that it is just possible that Ms Ditto was not entirely at her most sober (if that's wrong and she had flu or something I will be more than happy to apologise to her!).

And at one point they lost their synth and one of the guitars.  And despite that she was one of the most incredible performers I have ever seen.  Ever. It takes a real genius performer with an incredible voice to carry off keeping a gig going without half the instruments, and some of the poeple we spoke to afterwards didn't realise it wasn't deliberate.  She is absolutely incredible.  :)

It was a long walk back to the car, through a crowd of people that was overcrowded to the borders of risking a crush.  But the M62 was open and we had an easy run home.

sarahelaine says:
glad to hear it! I'm still working on the rest of teh Blog.
Posted on: Oct 12, 2009
Johnb42 says:
Great blog...you crack me up though but that's a good thing. :)
Posted on: Oct 12, 2009