EuropeLatviaRiga

A smile from a stranger

Riga Travel Blog

St Peter Lutheran Church

Last night I couldn't sleep untill 4 am as the nightclub beat next to the hostel was really loud. And Riga itself is a quiet town so you could imagine the impact of noise.

The check out was at 12noon so I leisurely woke up at half 10 and had breakfast and stored my backpack at noon. I made my way to the top of Church tower 3 minutes from the hostel. The 800 year’s old Lutheran Church is an Icon of Old Riga and the tower was destroyed by fire in 1940. Reconstruction took 6 years using the same design. The guidebook always describing place to have the feel/atmosphere of the other that Riga is Paris of the North? I climbed top of St Peter’s Lutheran Church Tower and could see the overall view of Riga divided by a river and 3 bridges connecting the two parts.
Paris of the North?
The vista encountered is kind of similar if you are at the top of Eiffel where river slicing the city except no rivercruise boat in Riga.

It's really cold today. The weather is cold and the people are cold too. It’s uncommon for Latvian to smile among themselves let alone to tourist. But today a smile from a woman on the street melted me and just made my day. How powerful that a simplest gesture on our face change someone's day. I strolled down for 2 hours from Vecriga to Art Nouveau District on the right side of Freedom Monument.

3.30 was already dark and back to the hostel I chatted with Ukrainian girl who lives in Germany. I was getting ready to depart to the airport and looking at the freemap for airport bustop direction. Ended up she and I walked to the bustop as she wanted to know the exact stop for her departure early morning the next day.
Vecriga from Church Tower
The bus to the airport only 0.60Santim.

I was satisfied for 2 days in Riga, that was about right the amount days to be spent and didn’t spend a lot money. But I wasted a foolishly 10 LVL (14€) for airport pick up where else I could pay only 0.60Santim (0.80cent) by bus. I’m regretting not to print out the hostel direction from the booking hence opted for easier option by taxi to the given address. Although I went to the internet before arriving Riga to print it but the internet shop’s printer was out of order. Such a mess!

Riga airport is major hub for Airbaltic and in competition with ryanair. My onward flight to Tbilisi Georgia was by Airbaltic and it is best value for money. Riga to Tbilisi only cost me €93 one way and no check-in baggage charges unlike Ryanair. Plus the legroom is great. Ryanair legroom is hell in the sky!

herman_munster says:
Yep the main cheap way to travel
Posted on: Jan 24, 2010
azianelias68 says:
Is it correct that Ryanair like Air Asia.Which offer the low cost fare.And the common air freight to round thru Europe.
Posted on: Jan 23, 2010
Paris of the north
Paris of the north
Its 6 degree on the ground but min…
Its 6 degree on the ground but mi…
Riga