Crying baby and noisy next room

New Delhi Travel Blog

New Delhi North Train Station

Overnight sleeper train to Delhi I was always mistaken to be Indian when the passenger started talking in Hindi. Sleeper train 8 berth sleeping next to the berth of a family with a baby, everyone’s woken up by crying baby at 4am! I heard one of the passengers shouting for the mum to stop her baby crying LOL. It was a very cold train ride arriving at 7.15 am the next day. Luckily there’s a bunch of hotels nearby New Delhi Train station called Paharganj Area.

But I was staying in horrendously thin wall double bed room called Downtown Hotel. It was deadly annoying and sickening as I was checking early morning. The guests in next room were having a shower. All sort of sound,snorting,blowing,spitting that everybody could hear.

Bazaar - jameh Mosque at the background
I felt so disgusted with the noise that I couldn’t stand and shout ‘Hey shut up’, soon afterward the other guest (not the one making noise) added ‘”that’s right, Shut up, other people stay here too”. The accent of the voice woman that I clearly identified was Brit. And the ones making such disgusting noise were from east Asian I think. Of all the cultural traits that I had hard time adjusting was spitting and the sound of …………(an english word that I don't know).

I had only a day in Delhi and decided I won’t be coming back here, so I took autorickshaw to Jameh Mosque and Red Fort. The sights that not supposed to be missed. However it was 9 in the evening and the mosque already closing its gate, only a lively night bazaar around selling all sorts of street’s food and religious items. There’s no place where slums intertwine, homeless people sleeping by the roadside or inside tents cannot be seen in Delhi. And peeing and shitting in public hasn’t been an embarrassing behavior.

herman_munster says:
Quite a shock at the beginning but after 3 train ride passing the rubbish dumb, the whole carriage stank, it's not so strange anymore.
Posted on: Dec 27, 2009
jethanad says:
Hi Amin

You have captured a quintessential Indian experience and I thank you for sharing with everyone your sense of humor.
Posted on: Dec 27, 2009
New Delhi North Train Station
Bazaar - jameh Mosque at the backg…
Bazaar - jameh Mosque at the back…
Catering for peckish passerby