EuropeItalyMilan

A day in Milan

Milan Travel Blog

Milanese pigeons
When I decided on this Italy trip, it didn't really matter where I would fly to, since I would travel around the country anyway. It turned out that the cheapest flight to Italy for me was an easyjet flight from Brussels to Milan. Many people had warned me not to go to Milan, because there is "nothing to see there" and -according to the Italians I know- "Milan is not Italy." Ignoring their warnings I booked the ticket.

The hostel where I was staying was pretty weird, the whole building was surrounded by a fence (very common in Italy, as I would notice during my trip) and the person who greeted me there did not speak a word of english. Now I have no problems with Italians knowing very little english, they can speak what they want of course, but when you work as the only person in a hostel it might pose some professional dificulties.
Inter, AC Milan, Juve
I said "hi" but she didn't understand me. After some waiting she said "My name is." without saying her name. After an akward silence I figured out that she must have meant "what is your name?" so that solved the problem. It turned out that the hostel was overbooked however, so the owner offered to drive me to another hostel he owned where there was still room available. I agreed and it gave me a chance to experience Milan style traffic first hand, it was total madness. On a 2 lane road he would create a third lane for himself by driving in the middle between the other two lanes. We were driving fast and ignoring pretty much every traffic rule I know. A little further down the road I saw a car honking because the car in front of him had stopped at a red light. I will never drive in Milan (or Napels, but that's for much later in this blog).
duomo
The new hostel gave me a lot less linguistic difficulties, since by coincidence, almost everyone there was Dutch or Flemish, I even saw some guy who lives in my street in my home town. It's a small world.

Milan itself then, all the tourists, me included, immediately head for the duomo (cathedral). It is a beautiful and huge church, very un-italian in its style (looks like my friends were right after all ;-) which are usually more modest, this cathedral is more inspired by the cathedrals of Northern Europe. Right next to it you have the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. A 19th century style shopping gallery. Much like the one you can see in Brussels but (even) more extravagant. Of course Milan is a shopping and fashion Mekka, and you can see people shopping and aspiring models walking around everywhere.
galleria vittorio emanuele II
I could have blown my entire travel budget on a single pair of sunglasses, but decided against it and went for the 5 euro ones they sell on the streets instead.
After seeing these must-sees I went to the biggest park I could see on my city map to enjoy the Italian weather, I fell asleep lying in the grass and wasted a good 3 hours there.

In the evening I went to a kebab place with the owners of the hostel and a Dutch family, the following morning I took an early bus to the train station and took the train to Venice... (that's for next post)
Leonardo da Vinci