Travel Preparations: choosing the guide

Kortrijk Travel Blog

Planning my trip whilst browsing TravBuddy :-)
Today I bought the guidebook for my Italy trip. There were tons of Italy guides in my local book shop and after some initial selection I ended up having to choose between Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Eye Witness and the Michelin Green Guide.
After looking through all of them for about 10 minutes each, I decided on the Michelin Guide. They have never disappointed me in the past. When looking for a guide, what I care about most is a detailed explanation of the history of a place (definitely in the case of Italy), and clear maps, so I can quickly find where I need to go.
Recommendations on Hostels, places to go out and things like that are of course important but are things that I use the internet for, since these things change all the time. The michelin guides focus on culture and history, which gives them a much longer longevity than other guides. On top of that it turned out to be the cheapest guide of the bunch so that made it an even easier choice.

After looking around in the "travel library" of our own home and I discovered a wealth on books about italy, as well as an Assimil Italian coursebook which I started reading. Sure common sense might dictate that you can't learn Italian from scratch in 4 days, but has anyone ever tried? I think it's worth the shot ;-)

Still to do: Book a hostel for when I arrive in Milan on monday, buy my interrail pass, and decide on another big question: which backpack?
A Domani!

Planning my trip whilst browsing T…
Planning my trip whilst browsing …
Kortrijk