Paluma Revisited

Cardwell Travel Blog

Crystal Creek Bridge Monument.

Some time ago, I was picking up my daughter and her school friend from the Cardwell bus stop.  During our drive home, we were talking about riding mountain bikes for exercise.  My daughter's friend mentioned that she and her mum rode from Clift Road to Port Hinchinbrook and back on weekends.  During our conversation, it prompted my memory of our SWIT Guide Adventure Tour.  I shared my family experiences kayaking Paluma Lake and riding mountain bikes down Paluma Range.

We spoke a couple of times and then decided to contact SWIT Guide.  Otto  mentioned that taking photographs during  tour operations was difficult.

Crystal Creek Bridge.
  So we made a deal to be the tour photographers, recording our activities.   Our group consisted of six, four adults, my teenage daughter and school friend.

Our previous tour experience left  lasting impressions.  So I knew what to expect.  Beautiful tropical sightseeing scenery, adventure and excitement.  We kayaked Lake Paluma.  Rode as a cycling team on the Paluma sealed road to road test our mountain bikes.  This worked for everyone except me,  I couldn't keep up with their enthusiasm.  Never mind, the SWIT Guide 4WD was following in our wake.

Something new this time.  We enjoyed lunch at the Rainforest Inn.  The restaurant atmosphere was welcoming, relaxed with menu options to satisfy our new found hunger.

Otto unloading the Kayaks.

Gearing up, with safety checks and briefing complete; our tour cycling team was ready to commence the eighteen kilometre Paluma Range downhill ride.  This time my daughter and I, having done this before, were less cautious and more focused on "pure pleasure".  It was interesting seeing the expressions of excitement our friends shared with us afterwards.  Turning to SWIT Guide, "Can we do it again, Please!"  We returned to Cardwell safe and sound.

In writing this journal, I now realize that through our shared outdoor interests and activities, our family relationships have benefitted.  We kept our part of the deal and gave Otto copies of our  photographs.  He thanked me and acknowledged  that the "power of word of mouth" had worked for him.

Otto unloading the Kayaks.
Human powered armchair ride!
Human powered armchair ride!
Cardwell tour cycling team.
Cardwell tour cycling team.
Cardwell