Mi hogar nuevo

Liberia Travel Blog

The view out of the balcony at Noemy's house
As I lugged my suitcases down the stairs of my beloved apartamento in the Mirandas' home yesterday, it felt surreal. Not to be overly cheesy, but I'm feeling sentimental right now, so bear with me. It really does feel like yesterday that I came into their home and was welcomed so graciously. But it has been almost two months that I spent in that house, and I have become extremely close with María Joaquina (mama) and Maricruz (sister), and even closer with Shannon, one of my very best friends. It was sad to leave, even though I was excited for the next chapter of my Costa Rican travels.

I hugged the family goodbye (for now, not for good!) and set off en route to Liberia to start what will be my life for the next seven to twelve months. My new host mom, Noemy, picked me up at the bus station and took me to her lovely home, where I began to get settled. In accordance with my previous luck with host families, Noemy seems to be pretty great. She's a lawyer, divorced, has two grown kids in San José and I think she likes having someone else (me) around. The house is really nice too. It's about three blocks from the class where I'll be working and the center of town. It has internet, a washing machine, a cute kitchen with all appliances included (and I finally get to cook for myself!), a dog, a cat, and two parrots (and yes, they talk). And my room comes equipped with a cable TV and an AIR CONDITIONER, which is really exciting considering that it is hot as hell and air conditioning is rare here. Also, she is obsessed with really yummy lemon iced tea and always keeps it in the fridge (reminds me of my own mom). So yes, I'm a little bit spoiled and I like it.

Tomorrow I will venture out to the classroom to observe the classes that will be mine to teach starting Thursday. There are two girls already working here, whom I've met twice at work events in the past week. I really like most of the people who work for the company, but most of them are in San José anyway. Still, I'm glad I actually like my employer, since I know not everyone is so lucky. Even though I'll probably start to stress a little tomorrow after I actually begin thinking about teaching my own classes, I'm excited to take the next step in this adventure!
mamacitapatti18 says:
i'm proud of my girl! :) keep up the good work, enjoy, learn lots and be safe. xoxoxox
Posted on: Oct 26, 2009
The view out of the balcony at Noe…
The view out of the balcony at No…
Liberia