Like a tica... bronze for the very first time!

Liberia Travel Blog

Yesterday, two of my students called me over to their desks while they were working on a partner activity. Thinking they had a question about the activity, I approached them.

"Lindsay," one of them said. "Do you know what we were talking about now?"

"No... What were you talking about? About the activity?"

"No, no, we finished the activity. We were saying when you arrived here in Liberia, you were very white. Your face was very light. But now you're more bronze. You almost look like a tica!"

Taken by surprise that not only was the comment was completely unrelated to the class, but it was also a wonderful compliment, I had to laugh. Victory! People think I fit in! Now, I'm sure that the dozens of men who still yell "Machita! Venga, mami, que machita mas blanca!" at me from across the street will beg to differ, but it was nice to know that some people think I'm not a lost case of a gringa.

Hopefully, I'll pull off fitting in tomorrow, as I head off to Granada, Nicaragua! It will be my first real solo travel experience, but I'm excited. Granada is supposed to be a beautiful city with colonial architecture and the Masaya National Park and Volcano nearby. I will be sure to blog about my adventures.

In other news, I just tried a new fruit called a granadilla. It looks like a mix between an orange and a peach on the outside, but on the inside, it looks like a brain! But it tastes delicious. Weird!
Liberia