Feels like home

Liberia Travel Blog

I realized I've wanted to update my blog lately but haven't found anything really significant to write about. I've already shared my final departure date, details about teaching and fun excursions and although I do have some exciting things coming up, I think it's because this feels like home. I don't keep a blog at home in Wisconsin or Indiana, simply because I never thought to do so. This is my travel blog, but now I'm living here in Liberia and I'm not really traveling. And I like it.

Within the next three months, I'll finish my classes, travel a little bit, improve my Spanish even more and finish an incredible year. I still have some time left, so I'm not going to reminisce too much about the past eight months here... That will come shortly. But just know that I'm feeling bitter sweet. I don't want to stay here or be an English teacher forever, but the past eight months of my life are going to be very hard to leave behind. I mean, who would want to leave beautiful beaches, lush rainforests, majestic mountains, adoring latin men and amazing friends?

This has come to be another home for me, and I'm sure I'll be back often. Now that's my motivation for finding a good job to pay for my return to my other home. I've begun to break the news to some friends that I'll be going back to the states in July, and in response, most of them have emailed the names of other companies here in Costa Rica that are looking for English teachers. Although I don't want to teach English forever, it's hard to turn them down. Last week I had my students write me letters just as a writing activity. I told them they could write about whatever they want: future goals, a funny story, family history, etc., but almost all of them wrote about how much they have enjoyed my class and how much they will miss me. Wah! It makes me sad but incredibly happy at the same time. I've accomplished a lot this year and I'm pretty proud. My main goals were to teach English with a good company (check), improve my Spanish (check), and learn about Costa Rican and Central American cultures. I can confidently say that I have done all that and much more.

But I'm not done yet.