Cambios de vida

San Jose Travel Blog

Mi mamita y hermanita en San José
I'M EMPLOYED!!!!! I got a job with a great company, Idiomas Internacional, as an English teacher... in Liberia (Costa Rica, not Africa)! The great part is that they work in conjunction with the government on a program called the INA (Instituto Nacional de Aprendizaje/National Institute of Learning), an initiative to get most of the country speaking an intermediate to advanced level of English by the year 2017. So that means that I will get a work visa from the government, my own bank account and a cell phone! My hourly pay will also be a lot better than the average English teacher's. My students will range from ages 15 to 85, since they are government-funded classes, offered to the general public. The only problem is that I won't have as many hours as I'd like, so I will probably try to get a job with a hotel or something, which would be exciting because then I could use my Spanish more.
Mamá María y yo

So I'll be here in San José for another week and then I'm moving to Liberia next Sunday! It will be a little scary, but very exciting! Liberia, for those of you who are apprehensive, is the second-largest city in Costa Rica, although it is much smaller than congested San José. It is the capital of the Guanacaste province and it's only about an hour away from many different beaches on the Pacific. It is a small town, but still has all the necessities, including a movie theater and museum, a private African nature reserve, and a food mall with American fast food chains for when I get homesick. Even I was apprehensive at first, but then I remembered my love for small towns and how I wanted to live outside of San José from the beginning. I think this will be a great opportunity for me and I can't wait to start my new job.
sonrisas :), aunque pronto nos separamos... :(

There is a company-wide party this Saturday night, so I'll get to meet all of my co-workers, which will be nice. Unfortunately, it conflicts with Maricruz's birthday party, so I'll have to split my time between the two. Then I will have training a few days next week, a company-wide retreat next Saturday, and then I'm off to northwest Costa Rica. I'll be working in Liberia at least until the end of May, and then the company wants to bring me back to San José to work with their clients here, full-time. I really like that idea because I would still get to come back to San José and be with all the people I've met here. I will miss Shannon and the Miranda family a lot, but they promised they would come up and visit me, and I'm sure I'll be back here at least once a month to visit.

When I first arrive, I will be living in a homestay that the company set up for me. It's a pretty good deal and I'm told she has pets, which will be nice for me. That's the one thing I've been missing while living with the Mirandas (well, that and cooking for myself... and banana bread)! Then I will look for a different place to live and hopefully find some cool ticos/as to live with after getting acclimated.

I want to thank all my readers for your support and for staying tuned into my erratic travels and adventures. As much as I love this life of traveling, learning and meeting new people, it can be scary! I'm lucky to have so many people here, at home and abroad, following and supporting my journeys!
globalodyssey says:
my daughter, who is 20, is seeking a job much like yours...could you send contact info to me please
thanks so much
Posted on: Oct 16, 2009
vances says:
Posted on: Oct 16, 2009
Mamá María y yo
sonrisas :), aunque pronto nos sep…
sonrisas :), aunque pronto nos se…
San Jose