Buena comida y buenos viajes: Qué más podría pedir?

Liberia Travel Blog

Last night, I went out with a student of mine who had invited to me to go out for a friend's birthday. I'm trying to get my students to see me as a young person living abroad, rather as just their English teacher. In this town, as a gringa English teacher, if you don't make friends with your students, you're not going to make many friends, since most 20-somethings in Liberia are enrolled in the classes. Some of them have started to invite me out places, which is nice, but others haven't come around yet. Anyway, his friends were nice and they obeyed my "if you hang out with me outside of class, you must speak at least 50% Spanish with me; if you want private English lessons, you can pay me" rule. :)

Noemy’s daughter Sabrina is also in town this weekend, visiting from college in San José. Yesterday, Noemy’s neighbor brought over Caribbean food (which was a nice spicy break from the normally bland Costa Rican food), and today we ordered pizza. And Noemy bought a delicious papaya that I’ve been snacking on constantly. So it’s been a pretty damn good food weekend, which means it was an overall good weekend.

Tomorrow, I’m meeting with Sofia (the 10-year-old I’m tutoring) again and trying to get in touch with a few other potential tutoring clients. And I promised Noemy I’d help her with her English homework. I’m actually making a life here for myself and I like it. The only thing that’s going to suck is Thanksgiving, which is normally my favorite holiday. So if you’re American and you’re in Liberia for Thanksgiving, please give me a call. I will be a lonely little gringa.

In other news, on November 28, I will have been here 90 days, which means, if I don't have a work visa, I've got to make a "border run" out of the country for at least 72 hours. I am supposed to have a work visa, since I work with the INA, a government program; however, my background check won't arrive from the Costa Rican government in DC until after my 90 days are up, so I've gotta scat. I'm told that the 72 hours rule is loosely applied and all I really have to do is get Nicaraguan officials to give me a stamp saying I've been out for that long, which they apparently will do for a small fee... But it all depends on what they tell me when I get there. Funny how things work...

So, if you just happen to be in the area, come to San Juan del Sur with me next Sunday, November 15! But if not, I will be venturing out on my own. Don't worry, Mom, I'll be safe! (But please don't show this entry to Dede.) I’m embracing the opportunity- It should be exciting to explore a new place on my own. Fellow travbuddies reading this: feel free to give me advice about traveling on your own, in Nicaragua, or anything else you think will come in handy. I’d appreciate whatever you’ve got to share.

Liberia