Ay... que bonita es esta vida!

Liberia Travel Blog

My life is ridiculous, and I mean that in only the best senses of the word. I am singing with Fabio Bello and his band, Morpho Jazz Latino, here in Liberia tonight. I met Fabio because he is a student of Audrey's and we went to see the band play a few months back (see my entry "Dando las Gracias"). I went to rehearse with them on Thursday night, and since then, I've basically been on cloud nine. We rehearsed Etta James' "At Last" and "Smooth Operator" by Sade, both amazing jazz songs. Although "At Last" is more vocally showcasing, both are killer. I've missed singing a lot, especially jazz.

Then I rehearsed again with them this morning to finalize things, in which time we added "Misty" by Erroll Garner and "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess to our repertoire. They are absolutely incredible jazz musicians, and just busted out whatever they could and we really mesh well. The version of "Summertime" is like a reggae/roots cover and it is so. much. fun. Jazz is definitely my favorite music to sing, so the guys in this band are the perfect people to know.

They basically asked me to be a part of their band from now on and sing with them whenever they have shows. Again, my life is ridiculous. They have another girl who sings with them sometimes and I met her today too. She's great and is singing the Spanish songs because although the singing little gringa speaks Spanish, it would be weird to have me sing it in Liberia, Costa Rica without A LOT of practice.

So anyway, I have to get ready for class now and then the performance tonight!!! Come see Morpho Jazz Latino play at 8 pm at Ozaki Restaurante in the Plaza Santa Rosa, if anyone reading this just happens to be in the area... :)
photo by: travelfan1963