Dubrovnik to London to Corfu (In One Day??!!)

Dubrovnik Travel Blog

Pigeon and Child, Dubrovnik
8:00 AM: Later today we leave Dubrovnik for Corfu. But in order to get to Corfu (which is only 269 miles away), we go first to London Gatwick on British Air and then go on FlyThomasCook Airlines to Corfu. We leave Gatwick airport around 11 tonight and land on Corfu around 4 am tomorrow morning.

“There must be a better way?” you ask. Perhaps. The only other way that I know of would have been to take the overnight ferry from Dubrovnik to Bari, Italy, spend the day in Bari and take another overnight ferry to Igoumenitsa, Greece. From there it is another short ferry ride to Corfu. We would have arrived on Corfu a whole day later. When I looked at the expense of the ferry vs. the expense of the flights, I found that for around $300 more we would have a whole day more to spend on Corfu.
Waiting, Dubrovnik
Also, killing the better part of a day in Bari, which is a port city on the east coast of Italy, and spending a total of 24 hours on ferries didn’t sound like fun.

I suspect some of you who are reading this will go online to cheap airlines and find something that works. If you can, good for you. I spent a total of 8 hours looking at almost every airline that flies out of Dubrovnik and found nothing that lets us leave today.

I suspect that others might read this and say that it is environmentally irresponsible to fly 2000 miles to go to a place that is only 350 miles away. And I suppose it is. But if you are going to argue that, you might as well argue that it is environmentally irresponsible for Americans to travel to Europe. We own a Toyota Prius. My wife and I should have just gotten in that and driven to Fargo, ND.
Relaxed, Dubrovnik
I’ve never really explored that city.

The moral to the story is that we probably shouldn’t have tried to include both Dubrovnik and Corfu in this trip. Part of the charm of both places is that they aren’t served by all the major airlines, aren’t all that easy to get to and therefore aren’t totally overrun by tourists like us.

Anyway, we have one morning left here in Dubrovnik and we are going to enjoy it. I also look forward to being on the island of Corfu by this time tomorrow.

Incidentally, I was reading Rick Steves' European blog and came across his entry about the sobe where Deb and I stayed: Rick Steves' Blog (look for the entry entitled "Hold the Mortar and Say Dubrovnik."
Procession, Dubrovnik