AfricaEgyptCairo

Leaving Egypt

Cairo Travel Blog

view of the Nile from our hotel

So is this it??? My Egypt Lonelyplanet still looked new, had that characteristic new-book fragrance and my stickies were all in place of some of the attractions. So is this REALLY it? Is it ALL over? Personally, for me, there was a voice in my head going "Du-bai Du-bai Du-bai DU-BAI... DUUUUBAAAAI" and that brought me immense happiness, but as far Egypt was concerned... au revoir time!

We didn't do much really on the last day except take fab photos of the place we'd go for breakfast - the Pane Vino ("bread - wine" in Italian). This rsnt also has a balcony that offers even greater shots of the River Nile and the transmission tower. So we spent time in and around the hotel - me with my camera and dad with the camcorder. Our travel co-ord Mohammed came sharp at 10am to pick us up.

Cairo transmission tower
The ride to the airport was fairly quiet and peaceful what with it being a Friday (Islamic day off, the weekend for them). Our work at the airport was also fairly peaceful - got our boarding cards and headed to the Duty Free shopping where I was hunting for a last minute statue of Nefertiti.

Our Emirates flight left on time. It really felt great. This was one week where we all felt we'd seen a lot and more importantly, learnt a lot. I don't know if I ever want to come back to Egypt, at least not in the near future anyway but as far as this visit goes, it was bloody brilliant.

My final tips for those planning a trip to Egypt are:

* Tipping: It really is as big a problem as people and the travel books say it is. People expect tips for every damn thing.

"Pane Vino", Italian rsnt at the Intercontinental
For example, tissue paper is rationed in toilets with a man standing at the entrance handing you tissue paper as you enter. Guess what, EVEN he expects tips!

* Purchasing souvenirs: Bargain your heart out. Most of the time, you're able to buy an item for 1/4th the price originally quoted. Don't feel bad if the store owner doesn't agree to your price. MOVE ON. That same item will definitely be available somewhere nearby itself. Check your local hotel souvenir store. We found that they offered better prices than the ones we saw at Khan-a-K bazaar and saves us the hassle of haggling!

* Water: Drink mineral water. It's cheap and easily available.

Overall lovely country that I feel everyone should visit at least once in their life!

Vikram says:
We had a great time but after 7 days of desert life and temples, I was ready for a change!
Posted on: Aug 17, 2015
missandrea81 says:
I really want to go. One day. Hopefully!
Posted on: Aug 17, 2015
Cairo transmission tower
Pane Vino, Italian rsnt at the I…
"Pane Vino", Italian rsnt at the …
with Mohammed, the tour coordinator