The Walled City of Colombia

Cartagena Travel Blog

Following my Lost City trek I had three more days in Colombia to end my time in South America.

The day after I got back from the trek I wanted a day of relaxing so I spent most of it in the hostel in Santa Marta researching my week and a half coming up in New York City. I watched Switzerland beat Spain in the World Cup, which was also the first time I got to hear the fantastic sound of vuvuzelas in action. They're so awesome and not annoying at all!

On the 17th I had a couple of empanadas for breakfast and then took the Mar Sol shuttle van to Cartagena. I got put in the back row with nearly no leg room so it wasn't the most comfortable of rides. At Cartagena the driver dropped me off near the hostel and proceeded to point me in the opposite direction to where I needed to go. After getting lost and asking some locals I made my way to where the hostel actually was and checked in. The hostel was pretty dingy but it had great air-conditioning in the room to make up for it. That evening I only went out for dinner - after the Lost City trek being my last big thing in South America I was getting tired of trying to see all of the continent and just wanted to get to New York City.

On the 18th I got a haircut in the morning and had a spag bol lunch at a tiny cafe that took forever to make. In the late afternoon I headed into the oldest part of Cartagena and walked around. The place is actually really stunning and I was kicking myself for not having gone in earlier in the day so I would have more sunlight time to take good photos. The architecture is very impressive and there was a great atmosphere to the place.

After a while I wanted dinner and there were plenty of people trying to get tourists into their restaurants. One guy spoke great English and seemed very friendly, so I thought I would go with what he recommended. He took me a bit down the street to a local place and then oddly he sat down with me to eat. I naturally got suspicious when he looked me in the eye and said he could get me 'whatever I wanted, 100% quality'. I explained I just wanted dinner and he didn't seem too disappointed by his failure to convince me to buy his cocaine. He talked to me for a while and then after I finished my chicken and chips I walked back to the hostel for the night.
Cartagena