Salta

Salta Travel Blog

On the Wednesday we got the famed bus from San Pedro de Atacama, Chile to Salta, Argentina. The straight-line distance between the two places does not look far but it involves a full crossing of the Andes so it drags out all day.

When we booked the bus we had the choice between the standard seats up the top for $US50 or the premium seats down the bottom for $US60. We figured it was worth the extra cash so we got the better ones. We were pretty damn happy with our decision because the seats were amazing, really big and luxurious, with a small fridge right next to us and a good view of the TV. The bus ride was fairly painless, going along a lot of winding roads over mountains, and with a simple border crossing into Argentina.

We arrived in Salta at about 10pm and walked to our hostel nearby. There were a few people in the hostel milling around, and over some beers we got talking to a Scottish guy.

On the Thursday my time in Argentina and also with Liz and Ryan was coming to an end. We walked to the plaza in town, which had a European look that was quite well to do. We had lunch at an outdoor cafe on the plaza and watched all the busy Salta citizens go about their day.

After lunch it was time for me to head to the airport to take my three flights to Cancun, Mexico, where I was going to start my tour around Central America. I said my goodbyes to Liz and Ryan and got in a taxi. It was a strange feeling at that point that I was now on my own in the sense that I likely wouldn't see anyone from home for many months ahead. I was a bit nervous about that prospect but at the same time I was excited about such a step into the unknown.

I had been travelling around South America for nearly 7 weeks to this point and even the start of the trip was starting to feel like a long time ago. We had seen so many amazing things in that time. I would easily rate the Inca Trail at the top of the list, and wouldn't be surprised if it stays at the top by the time I am done. The Bolivian salt flats would be second, and third I would put the attempt at Rucu Pichincha on my third day in South America mostly because of my particular experience rather than the universal appeal of it.

My time in South America was over only for the time being - I am returning on December 19 to start my 171 day tour around the continent, starting in Caracas, Venezeula.
Salta