Playa Colorada

Playa Colorada Travel Blog

After we packed up our bush camp and had breakfast we had a full day drive again to arrive at Playa Colorada on the north coast of Venezuela. We stopped in the town of San Fernando for a couple of hours along the way. We were all staying at a house with a big open upstairs area with hammocks strung up everywhere. After we set ourselves up there we went across the road to where we were to have our meals and met a big group of overseas travellers who were doing volunteer work teaching in the local area. A couple of us had a lot to drink and didn't get to bed until quite late.

The next day was New Year's Eve and it began with a big hangover. I had breakfast across the road and then went into the nearby city of Puerto La Cruz with a couple of the travelling classroom girls to get costumes for the party that night. I bought a toy set of cowboy guns and a sheriff's badge. When we got back I tried to get some more sleep but it was too noisy in the hammocks area.

The party to bring in the new decade was across the street. Everyone was dressed up and they had a bar set up to sell spirits. We all got predictably drunk and partied through the night.

2010 began the next day with everyone really hungover. A few people in the group were very sick and didn't move for most of the day. I walked down to the beach and had a seafood soup for lunch, but it wasn't very good. I walked back in later on in the afternoon to get water. That night we had a vegetarian dinner because some thought they had got so sick from the meat the night before.
Playa Colorada