New York City - Day Seven

New York Travel Blog

On Saturday there was World Cup fever in New York as the United States came up against Ghana in the Round of 16 match. I wanted to watch it with a big crowd and just assumed that they would be playing it in Times Square. I took the subway down to Grand Central Station and walked down 42nd Street to Times Square. To my surprise they weren't showing it on any of big screens. Surely that is the one place in the country they would show it? Oh well. I wanted to watch it in a bar but they wouldn't let me in because I had left my passport in my hostel locker.

I didn't care enough about the United States in soccer to try any more so I gave up on the idea and decided to see if the King Tutankhamun exhibit near Times Square would be worth a look. There was very little information from the outside but I was in need of something to do so I paid the $40 for the exhibit, audio guide and 3D film. The exhibit displayed some stunning pieces of Egyptian artifacts, many from Tutankhamun's tomb. The audio guide was a good addition. I was in a very critical mood at the time however, so when it got to the end of the exhibit and there was no sign of the coffin or the body itself I was a bit let down. They use the famous gold coffin in all of their marketing and it's not even in the exhibit! Bah.

After leaving the exhibit I went in to the 3D film. It was a mediocre film and was made worse by the pointless use of 3D. All the 3D did was distract and confuse without actually adding anything to the content. A simple example was where it was showing some footage and then put a date on the screen at a completely different focus level, which just threw you off and made you have to refocus to read it, and then refocus again to go back to what you were watching.

When I got back to Grand Central Station they had a TV in the main plaza area showing what was then the final minutes of the game. I thought it was already over with, but it had gone into extra time so they were up to about minute 115. I watched the last few minutes with the United States losing to Ghana and everyone quickly walking off in a grumble.

I was looking for something to do the next day so I decided to check out Broadway tickets online. West Side Story had some seats up on the top balcony section for $45, so I bought one of those for the 3pm show.
New York