New York City - Day Nine

New York Travel Blog

My original plan for the day was to go to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in the morning and then go to a taping of The Daily Show in the afternoon. Instead I experienced epic fail.

I got up in the morning with an ear problem and had to go to the doctor. I let go of getting to see MoMA this trip to New York - the next day was my last and it is closed on Tuesdays - and instead went to a medical clinic nearby. Without boring everyone with the details it took three hours and $380 to get out of there. Thankfully I have travel insurance!

After getting out way later than I had hoped I figured I had just enough time to get a taxi to the Daily Show studio to get in the line. I got in one nearly straight away and it got down there in 15 minutes, which was pretty fast considering. I took my spot in the back of the line, which was maybe about 20 or 30 people behind where I was the previous Wednesday when I also went to a taping. I waited about 45 minutes as the line grew behind me. The ticket person then came down the line and said that from everyone behind a person about ten in front of me that there were no tickets left. It happens because they overbook the general seating to make sure they are full, and also because VIP tickets can vary in number and make general tickets miss out. It turned out that the guest was David Axelrod (senior advisor to President Obama) so maybe there were a lot of VIP tickets that night.

I was annoyed but also thankful that I had decided to go last week too, otherwise I would have missed out entirely. There were some other people who missed out who were talking beforehand like they were big fans and looked pretty crushed to have not go in.

I walked towards the subway station on Ninth Avenue and saw a classic diner that you don't really see a lot of in Australia, not unlike the Seinfeld one. I went in and had a really awesome fetta cheese burger. The only downside was there was some crazy woman in the booth behind me who refused to pay for her soup because she thought it took too long to come out, and wouldn't shut up about it the whole time. Have a cry, saddlebags!
New York