New York City - Day Five

New York Travel Blog

I had lunch at the cafe Barking Dogs, which is right next to my hostel. The turkey sandwich was like all other New York food portions... massive!

After lunch I walked down to the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a visit. The woman at the front desk was quite rude which didn't get it off to a great start. The main exhibit I wanted to see was some of the works of Picasso. Most of their works of his seem to relate to his formative and later years rather than his famous abstract/cubism pieces, which I think in New York are more likely found in the Museum of Modern Art. Some of the pieces were really incredible, but as usual I could only enjoy it at a surface level because I hardly know anything about art and struggle to see the hidden meanings that some people find. Some of his later life works were so bizarre that either he was on drugs or he had a fantastically vivid imagination. Or both I guess. In retrospect I should have paid up for the audio tour because the people listening to them seemed to be getting a lot more out of it.

When I was done with Picasso I wandered around some of the other areas. Being older art a lot of it was religiously themed, which I find largely repetitive and uninteresting. One area I really liked were the old sculptures, especially the marble ones. It must have required an incredibly specialised skill to carve them out of such expensive stone or metal. The most famous was The Young Archer, by Michaelangelo, who was one of the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and who turned to sculpture after the show was cancelled.

After getting my taste of fine art for the day I went into Central Park and grabbed a table in the shade and spent a couple of hours updating the blog you are reading (but not this bit, or this).

That evening I had a ticket to go see stand-up comedy at Comix Lounge, with Michael Ian Black as the main act. I had Subway for dinner and then took the subway (see what I did there) down to the venue. I had about a half hour wait inside where I drank Stella in recognition of my favourite Michael Ian Black show, Stella. Also I wanted to drink beer. And there was a two drink minimum.

The show started with a guy doing human beatboxing, it was pretty impressive. The host then came out, he was good but not great. A couple of other lead in comedians were quite funny, especially Jessi Klein, who I am sure I have seen somewhere else. Michael Ian Black then came out for a 45 minute odd set. He was absolutely brilliant, I laughed the whole way through. His jokes are just my kind of humour and his body language and facial expressions go along with it perfectly. After the show I came back to the hostel for the night.
New York