New York City - Day Eight

New York Travel Blog

I got up late (again) and had Subway for lunch while I watched the England v Germany game at the hostel. After a bit of updating my blog I headed back to Times Square once again, this time to see the Broadway show West Side Story.

I collected my ticket from the booth and walked up the stairs to the balcony section. I was definitely in the cheapest section of the theatre, but it was still pretty good. It would be nice to be able to splurge on $100+ tickets for the prime seats though. I waited for about 20 minutes before the show began.

The musical went for about two and a half hours, with a 15 minute interlude about two-thirds through. The story is based on the tale of Romeo and Juliet, but set between two gangs in the West Side of Manhattan. The performance was much better than I had expected. The choreography of the dancing and the songs was first class and near perfectly executed. The acting was very good, and the stage set added to it without being intrusive and also transitioned between scenes quickly. The story was easy to understand and kept you interested. They took a risk by putting Spanish lines in to the play since one of the two gangs were Puerto Ricans. It was funny seeing the white gang (the Jets) talk to the PR gang (the Sharks) with their slow Spanish, although people in the audience who didn't know Spanish at all would be lost at those jokes, but when the Puerto Ricans were talking to each other in fast Spanish I got pretty lost myself. Overall it was easily worth $45 and three hours of my time.

After I left the theatre I was feeling slack so I just went to Maccas for some food. The large meals are so ridiculously big, but I willed myself to finish it including the large chocolate shake. I sugar-crashed hard about an hour later.
New York