Lima

Lima Travel Blog

Our time in Ecuador came to an end after two weeks as we flew from Cuenca to Lima via Guayaquil. The flights were both short so little to report on that front.

There is not much for me to say about Lima as we only used it as a place to fly in and meet Sandy before heading further south into Peru. We got to Lima at around 8pm and took a taxi to the hostel in the Miraflores district where we found Sandy. We headed down the main drag and came to a nice restaurant and gave Sandy the run down on our two weeks in Ecuador. After that we walked down to the coast but it was hard to see much in the dark so we headed back to the hostel and to bed.

The next day we had breakfast at the hostel and got the details on how to get to our next destination - Paracas. We had heard good things about Cruz Del Sur buses so we went down to their private bus station and bought our tickets. Unfortunately we didn't leave much time to eat lunch so after ordering it I didn't have time to wait for it to arrive before we had to board the bus. The bus to Paracas took about 4 hours which mostly featured a desert landscape. I sat next to three Dutch girls who I ended up seeing a few times down the tourist trail of Peru.

Taking a Cruz Del Sur bus was the total opposite of our experience with buses in Ecuador. You need your passport to buy a ticket and to get on the bus, along with a hand luggage search, a metal detector search, and even being videotaped by an official with a camera once you sit down on the bus. The buses are quite comfortable and if you are getting a day time bus they even bring you meals like on an airline. They play movies but our experience has been that they are really lame feel-good films so it can be painful to watch them. The upside to the TV screens is that you get treated to a hilarious ad for Peruvian Yellow Pages that features ripped-off muppets. I'd recommend anyone taking the bus through Peru to go with them.
Lima