Granada Travel Blog

 › entry 36 of 166 › view all entries
The second stop for our tour in Nicaragua was the city of Granada on Lake Nicaragua. We took a collectivo to Managua and then another on to Granada that got us there about midday. We dropped off our bags and went in to town for lunch.

Granada is another one of those cool Latin American cities that have a preserved colonial feel to how the buildings are maintained. We walked through the main plaza and over to the road which goes down to Lake Nicaragua. We went to a cafe that is famous for its fish and chips. All but one of us in the group got the fish and chips and they were superb. Across the road from the cafe were a couple of TVs set up that were showing a live soccer game from Spain. There were a good couple of hundred people there watching intently and screaming as each tight moment in the game happened. It was interesting to see so much passion for a league based in a country so far away.

After lunch I went down the road to Lake Nicaragua with Gary and Dave. On the way there we stopped to watch a baseball game going on. At the lake we had a good view out into the water, but it was fairly dirty around so the sight wasn't overly memorable. We took a long way back to the city centre where we climbed to the top of a church and got some photos of the surrounding city.

Before we went out to dinner the hotel shouted us to a rum and coke at the small bar out the back. We went out to a restaurant and soon enough Todd and I had a bottle of rum between us and were knocking them back pretty fast. After dinner we found a nearby bar and sat around drinking and the usual. A local guy came up to the group and immediately started saying how he didn't want anything from us, he was just being friendly. It smelled scammy to my drunken state so I was stirring him up a fair bit. A Canadian girl at the bar near us joined us and after some more drinking Todd, her, myself, and for some reason the local guy went out to another bar on the edge of Lake Nicaragua. Things got fairly out of hand from there and no more details need be provided...

I got home at about 6am and slept through most of the day. That night I went out to dinner with the group on the trendy road we had had fish and chips at the previous day. After I finished my meal I was again incredibly tired from my hangover so I went back to the hotel for an early night.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Paulovic