Boa Vista

Boa Vista Travel Blog

Our aim for the next day of the big drive to Manaus in Brazil was to get across the border and then as far into Brazil as we could. The border crossing was expected to be really slow but we ended up cruising through as fast as we could hope. At the customs office I got my first encounter with Portuguese. The first word I learned was 'obrigado' - ie. thank you.

Not far into Brazil we had a huge stretch of road that is owned by the indigenous people of the Amazon rainforest. The deal they have with allowing the road through is that nobody is allowed to stop, so we had to drive a good couple of hours along a dodgy semi-tarred road without any toilet stops.

We kept driving after that further south into Brazil and along the way Dave and I had an epic game of poker that unfortunately I did not end up winning. As it got dark Suze chose the best place there was along the side of the road and we set up our tents for a bush camp. That night we hit the booze pretty hard and I ended up having a whole bottle of rum and staying up very late.

The next morning I woke up still very drunk and spent a good 45 minutes slowly packing my tent up. In the process I missed breakfast entirely, but I wasn't hungry anyway. We had a full day drive to finally get into Manaus during which I went from drunk to miserably hungover. At Manaus a bunch of the group went out for Nathan's birthday but I was too hungover to even contemplate it, so I went to bed early.
Boa Vista