The Rock Tour: Day 1

Kings Canyon Travel Blog

6AM, early pick-up at my hostel in Alice Springs in the minibus with our guide and driver for 3 days, Sam. We are 21 on that tour: 11 different nationalities, different ages, different experiences… it is funny. Still, the atmosphere is great and people get on well.

Our first « real » stop (because we stop regularly on the road) was Kings Canyon. We reached it for lunch.

It is really unique, as all the places we went through during this trip. As usual now in Australia, it is huge. The walk was not so easy. It starts by climbing… Hard when we are not used to this kind of very dry heat. The rule is to always carry 1 liter of water for each hour of walk. That makes it 3 liters for this walk. Anyway, it is worth all these efforts. The scenery is stunning.

Then, after stopping to find wood for our fire, we went to our camp in the middle of nowhere. How cool was that! Some guys did the fire while others prepared the food. The dinner chatting around the fire was excellent! The sky was full of stars. I had never imagined it was possible seeing such a sky, so many stars. Incredible. So many of them, so bright… so beautiful!

And the swag is really comfortable to sleep in. I could do that every nights, I really slept well.

Kings Canyon