Visit of Stirling and the

Stirling Travel Blog

Statue of Robert the Bruce
As we have to take the plane in Edinburgh to get home we decided to make an overnight stop in Stirling before getting to Edinburgh.

After less than an hour driving we arrived at the castle of Stirling but the entrance fee of 8.50 GBP per person would blow our low budget. We paid the fee for the parking and went downhill to the historical center. On the way down we passed at the Youth hostel and went inside to check for an available room. We were lucky, they had a room for us.

I left my girlfriend at the Youth hostel and went back to the castle to get the car.

After checking-in we went to the Old Town Jail which the girl at the reception desk of the Youth hostel recommended to us.

The guide was just fantastic, he played 5 different characters during the visit (of course the guide, a prisoner, a judge, a DA and the prison warden). It was so funny...although I really had difficulties to understand him but I think he did this on purpose ;o).

After we have seen the center of Stirling we went to the "Wallace Monument". A very impressive building dedicated to William Wallace (better know as Braveheart) and other famous Scots like:
(Wikipedia *lol* - I couldn't remember myself)

We also climbed the 246 steps up to the roof terrace. It was quite windy - we went down again after 5 minutes. The rest of the day we spent strolling around Stirling center and in the evening we went to a pub for a couple of beers and watching a soccer game on TV (it was a match of the European Championship).

Castle of Stirling
Castle of Stirling
Old Town Jail
Old Town Jail
Guard of the Old Town Jail
"Guard" of the Old Town Jail
Wallace Monument
Sword of Mel William Wallace Gib…
Sword of Mel "William Wallace" Gi…
Inside the Wallace Monument