Berlin Travel Blog

I arrived into Berlin Tegel this morning after a long trans-atlantic flight.  First to Munich and then onto Berlin.  I didn't have any idea of what to expect or do in Berlin but luckily I was going to meet up with my Swiss friend Dagmar, who I met from couchsurfing in Zurich the year before.  She had already arrived before I did and was at the hostel where we were staying.  Fortunately I spent the 25 euros and pre-arranged a personal car to meet me at the airport and take me to the hostel.  Being in Germany of course the car was a Mercedes and I thoroughly enjoyed being chaufered from the airport to the city centre!

I got to the hostel, The Circus Hostel, and texted Dagmar to meet me there.

She came back from her "walking tour" and we greeted each other excitedly because it had been so long since we had seen each other.  Over a coffee we caught up on each others lives and laughed about things we had done in Zurich together last year.

Feeling up for an adventure we decided to go for a walk around the city.  We stopped at a local shop and I bought some lunch (because I knew if I was going to surive on sleep deprivation I would need some protein!).  We walked for a few hours snapping loads of photo of the city and scenery.  I just got the feeling that if I lived here I would love it.  Of course I am a city guy at heart but this place is AMAZING!!  So many different types of people and cultures.. I was in my element!!

The weather didn't exaclty cooperate and it started pouring down raining at one point.

Fortunately I remembered to bring my umbrella.  Unfortunately it didn't do much good and I got soaked from my waist down!!  We found a cafe to sit down in and get some coffee while attempting to dry off.

Soon after we decided to head back to the hostel to rest up before the evenings activities.  Thank God I found a Starbucks and was able to add another city mug to my ever growing collection of 40+!  We arrived back at the hostel and rested a bit before taking showers and then going out to eat.

We found a nice restuarant where I had some amazing pasta (and beer.. of course)!!  Not too sure of what we should do for the night, we went back to the hostel and got a drink at the bar.  We ended up running into some other people travelling (as you do in hostels) and ended up hanging out with them.  We were such an odd group too..  2 Americans, 1 Aussie, 1 Uruguain, and 2 Canadians.  The girl from Uruguay didn't speak any English so I of ended up translating all night.  We sat around drinking and telling stories and laughing and having a good time.  6 hours later (and countless drinks) we decided to call it a night.  We made plans to meet everyone in the morning around 10 o'clock to go on a bike tour of the city.  I soon found myself in bed and drifting off to sleep..   I love being in Europe :)

Vikram says:
I missed your blogs. Welcome back!!
Posted on: Aug 25, 2009
Kind of scary
Kind of scary
As the storm approaches!
As the storm approaches!
Our crazy group!!
Our crazy group!!
Berlin Hotels & Accommodations review
This hostel was AWESOME!! I couldn't have asked for a better place. Great location, clean and great price. I'll definitely stay here next time I'm i… read entire review
Berlin Hostels review
Best Hostel so far!!
I was debating on whether or not to stay in a hotel or hostel while visiting Berlin. I have had some bad hostel experiences before but when my friend … read entire review
photo by: CFD