AsiaJapanKyoto

Shinkansen to Kyoto

Kyoto Travel Blog

Shinkansen

Having spent a day faffing round, packing luggage, unpacking luggage to insert missing items (rinse and repeat); my mate and I set off to catch the Shinkansen to Kyoto. Having previously negotiated tickets, all we had to do was be on time for the train and sit in the right seat.

The shinkansen was awesome, causing the geeky train-spotter in me reared his ugly head when the train glided into the station. As the Japanese guards swept the train (literally) and turned the seats round so we all faced the direction of travel, we hopped on board and settled down quickly.

My excitement was made more palpable by the fact I was allowed to smoke. Inside. At my seat. On a frickin' train! I merrily lit up (as did numerous Japanese businessmen) while my travel companion sighed and promptly succumbed to his unique brand of narcolepsy. Left to my own devices I pressed my face to the glass and watched as the lanscape flashed by at increasingly fast intervals.

Before long we arrived in Kyoto. Armed with suitcases we left the station and promptly got lost. Eventually we found our hotel tucked down a narrow side street. We collapsed quickly, before heading out to find a noodle bar. Suitably fed and watered we wandered the streets for a while before returning to the blessed air conditioning of our room to break out the Lonely Planet to plan for the events of the morrow.

Shinkansen
Now you see it - soon you wont!
Now you see it - soon you wont!
Shinkansen arrives
Shinkansen arrives
Inside my hotel room in Kyoto
Inside my hotel room in Kyoto
The bathroom - again notice the bi…
The bathroom - again notice the b…
Kyoto Hotels & Accommodations review
Everything you need - well bed, shower etc.
The Hearton was our base for the Kyoto part of our exploration. We arrived at the JR station and jumped off of the bullet train before it took us bac… read entire review
Kyoto