The One and Only

Jerusalem Travel Blog

Our first and only day in Jerusalem, we had planned for three but can’t be helped I suppose had been so much fun just trying to get here. The camping on the rooftop in the open air was amazing. For some reason the corner of the roof we picked was empty and overlooked the dome of the rock which is an amazing sight at night, 50 meters to the left was the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, waking up in the middle of the night was surreal, rolling over to an uninterrupted view of the Jerusalem skyline was an amazing experience. At 6am I woke up to something I had not expected, a drop of rain on my face, this was followed by several so the bags were packed away and the three of us all hurried inside to the common room, luckily we got a three seater sofa and managed to get back to sleep but were awoken 20 mins later by the greatest church bells I have ever heard, the Church of the Wholly Sepulcher. This was impossible to sleep through so we gave up and got dressed and set out for the day. Wandered the souqs but they were all closed so we climbed the mount of olives and descended following the stations of the cross up thee Via De Larosa this was exhausting for us so was followed by a Falafel which Claire refused to try following my illness after eating one last year. By the time we were back in the old city the souqs were open so we wandered them for the reminder of the day. Mat went for a kip and we met up at 6pm just before we had to leave. On the way I went to get some final cash but the machine rejected the card walked to the only other ATM’s in the city and both rejected the transaction, that was it we though out prayers were answered and we would have to stay longer but a guy in one shop said he could charge the card and give us the cash (bugger) the minimum was double what I wanted and no doubt we were being ripped off but we had no choice. So armed with our 500shecckles we went to find mat in his shiny new hostel and went for our very own last supper. Second Falafel of the day and im still feeling good which is nice!!!! Then it was time, time for us to part ways, the last 7days had flown. Our ad hock backpacker tour group had gone from 4 to 6 grew to 12 the other 6 who definitely wouldn’t have fit with the original six of us and split soon after, then it split in Aqaba to two threes and here we were in Jerusalem with mat ready to split again so the group was down to 1 the lucky bastardJ. We parted sadly ways and headed too the station to catch the bus to Ben Gurion, leaving Mat to finish Jerusalem and head off to India for a month. So here we are sat in Ben Gurion thinking back about the places, people and experiences we have from the last 4 weeks.

Stigen says:
Sounds like a decent place to stay , only a piry it started raining ! Jerusalem old city is a pretty cool place !
Posted on: Oct 20, 2009