AfricaEgyptCairo

Fun in the Pyramidas

Cairo Travel Blog

Today we visited the pyramids of Giza, the day started well we even mastered the hectic Cairo bus system spending 4EGP on the bus rather than 150EGP on a private taxi like most tourists, so I was a happy bunny. Claire was laughing at my Arabic attempts, that audio disk i downloaded didnt entirely sink in but seems to be doing the job (we got to where we wanted to go). The pyramids at first apear over the tops of the towerblocks of Giza City which can only be described as hell, as you get closer the plateau opens and you have a full view of the site. We arrived early enough to beat the package tourists from Sharrm El Sheik who arrrived later in their little tour groups for their half hour excursion into egypt, they looked rediculouse and didnt seem to understand anything.
walk like an egyptian
When a guide asked one woman which pyramid she wanted to enter she kept saying "the big one" with the guide replying miss they are all big which one do you want to see. Luckily for us as we were there early we got the site to ourselves for about an hour before the tourist groups assemblesd en mass and marched arround the site in tight groups. Anyway we had a great time saw all three major pyramids and the smaller ones that surrounded them. Visited  the Cepos solar boat which was impressive, this site was one which we had to visit as you do if you are in Cairo however we are most looking forward to tomorows trip, if all goes well we will be arraning a horse ride(subject to haggling) to travel the 30km from the Giza site to the original pyramids at Saqqara these are off the tourist trail and although not as grand as the Giza pyramids are apparently more impressive and the horse ride if it happens will make them even better.

Following on from the last entry, we went to the so called english pub: it started off well, looked like an english bar even had the posters for english beer but when I asked for a guinness the bartender had never even heard of one had to explain that it was black beer. Then I noticed a Newcastle Brown poster so asked for two of those only to be told that the poster was a fixture and the drink was not stocked. It turned out that they only sold local beer which when we ordered twwo we found to be awful lager (the stuff of nightmaares) couldnt finish mine so claire took them both and ordered me cocktail which to add insult to my already dented pride it came in a girly ponsy glass. This was not a plesant experiance and is not one we intend to repeat although claire can not stop laughing about the ordeal! See attacched photo, i dont look a happy bunny!!!!!!!!!!
solar boat