Ferry From Hell

Aqaba Travel Blog

We had already stayed a night longer than we had planned in Dahab so today it was deffinatley time for us to get on the move again. The plan was to travel by bus to the Egyptian port of Newibia wwhich supprisingley went to plan, we met our new American and ausie ifriends wwho were doing the same leg of the trip as we were, the bus turned up on time and dropped us off at the port early. This was where things started to ger odd. The ferry tickets could only be bought in US Dollar we being in Egypt only had Egyptian pounds so I left Claire with a growing group of travelers including two aussies we had met in Aswan a few days earlier and I set off to find  a bank. The bank was easy enough had an ATM but was charged double the exchange rate because I had no real chance. By the time I got baack the aussies had bought our tickets assuming I couldn’t find the US money so I just had to pay them. Then it was off to sit in a badly ventilated chicken sshed waiting for the ferry. A bus came to take us to the boat the bus was a wreck no seats broken windows we sat on the floor as it was bouncing all over the place. The ferry on the other hand waas in good condition although it was a nerveracking trip due to staff incompetence. The ferry moved off then reversed and stopped already an hour late at this point. We had bought the fast ferry tickets, the journey should only take an hour but 5 hours later we were sstill on the bloody thing. Eventuaaly we got gonto Jordanian soil, but our passports were nowhere to be seen. Immigration had taken everyones passport without telling them where to collect them. An hour later armed wwith our passports we were out of the terminal and on our way to Aqaba. The group plan was to catch a bus to Wadi Musa/Petra although I didntn think it was likely as it was midnight by the time we got to the city so Claire and I led the merry band of travelers to the hotel we stayed in last year and after some haggling we got a room. Disssapointingley the irish bar WITH Guinness was shut due tp Ramadan so again we were left with a dry mouth.

Aqaba