Back to home and the pub

York Travel Blog

We flew from Jerusalem to Koln at 0130 arriving at 5am local time, then we caught the next four trains to Brussels in order to catch the Euro Star. Unlike the outward trip we didn’t pre buy tickets and saved an extra 50 Euros by the conductor not coming out. Eurostar was easy enough as was the next train to Yarm, however at York I told Claire to get off as I was taking her for a pint before walking into the centre where we had the best pint yet in the Guy Fawkes Inn. At this point Claire thought we were still goiong home, then I surprised her by showing her the room I had arranged for the nhight. I knew the pub had a great reputation but the room was fantastic. 4 poster bed so soft and nice with more pillows than we could count, a power shower and raised bath with those feet things (forget the proper name). Once settled we rushed around the shops with only an hour to spare trying to find some clean clothes that didn’t stink and were nice and fresh. With out new wardrobe we went back to a well deserved red hot shower and bath, after which we have never felt so clean. Got dressed and went out to our old favorite the Orgasmic Café for tea. Was an early night since it had been such a long day but the sleep was fantastic on such a soft yet perfectly firm bed. Next day woke to full English and some proper coffee before setting out to wander the streets avoiding going home, eventually after aq filling pub lunch we decided it had to happen eventually so we went back to backpacker mode and walked to the station with all out loot which at this time included a whole fresh salmon which we thought was a bargin, I have named him Mr Fish although Claire says he cant come out for a photo on the train.

photo by: HelenP