Talkeetna Travel Blog

Off to Talkeetna
The day began rather nicely. Again, I slept extremely well. And I know now that exhaustion isnt the only factor at work.

The hostel I am staying at in Anchorage, has no room heating. And although it doesnt get unbearably cold, you definitely cannot sleep naked! The first night I was all by myself in the room... and was feeling extremely cold. The next day my roommate arrived and suddenly it wasnt so cold anymore. Her theory is that two bodies generate more heat. Thus, the relief from the cold. I didnt quite think this true till last night. My roommate was catching a flight back to London at 5 in the morning. And so by 3:30 or 4, she was gone. (I had promised her that I would wake up to see her off.
.. but I slept right through all her packing and getting ready!)..

I woke up at around 5 in the morning... suddenly feeling cold! I was in a semi-conscious state, but I remember peeping down to the lower bunk bed and finding that my roommate had already left. That's when I realised that maybe there was some truth to her theory.

My plan was to wake up by about 5:30 to go see if I can get a good view of the sun rising. I searched the internet for best viewing spots from downtown Anchorage, but couldnt find any recommendations. But I was driven towards seeing the sun rise! This urge was brought on due to my accidental viewing of the sunset the previous evening!! It was breath taking... and no matter what I say about it, it would not be an exaggeration!! So, I was focused now on seeing whether the rise of the sun is even close to that in beauty.
The mountains loom up ahead..

So, seeing that I had another half hour to go, I pulled the cast aside quilt over myself and dozed off again. And, like the previous day, my alarm did not go off again! (yup, thats my story. I refuse to admit that there is a probability that the alarm did go off... and that I switched it off in a semi conscious state and went back to sleep!)
I finally woke up at around 6:00.. rushed through my bath and got ready. This was going to be a hectic last day in Alaska and I knew it. And I had already missed the first item on my agenda - the sunrise! To provide some relief, the front desk person at the hostel told me that there is no place with a good view of the sunrise from Downtown Anchorage... coz the angle is wrong ...or something. So I told myself maybe it was best I didnt get up early to wait for the sun! ;)

So I got on with the rest of the plan for the day.
Awe inspiring..
First of all, I had to check out. Next, I had to have breakfast and then get onto the chopper that would take me to Denali... up close to the Alaskan range! Then, in the evening I had a couple more things planned before I got on my flight back to the real world.

I packed up my bags and decided that I could spare a wee bit of time to check my mail and all. Got online and found a couple of "people" online and sat down to tell them about what all I've been upto! And before I knew it, it was a few minutes past 7!!! I was supposed to be at the chopper pick up point at 7:15! I rushed back up to the room, picked up my bags, checked out... dumped the bags with the front desk lady...promising to pick it up later in the evening.... and RAN to the pick up point! Got there just in time. Met some other co-passengers... and set off!!! To Denali!!!
Talkeetna