Of Fjords and Glaciers.. and everything ICE!

Seward Travel Blog

The train chugs closer to the mountains..
I've always thought of myself as a beach-person. I love the feel of the sand under my naked feet... the sound of the waves... the cool of the breeze that ruffles my hair... makes me feel one with all nature.

But there is something about the sight of mountains that just completely enchants me. Right now, as my train to Seward takes me through a glorious view of the mountains of Alaska, I cannot help but recall the way I felt when I first laid eyes on the majestic Himalayan range. Awe-struck. I dont know how else to descibe the feeling. If the beaches made me feel one with them, the mountains remind me of how small I really am! Not just physically... but in the larger scheme of things.. In this grand old world of ours.
Lovely route

I had seen hills before in my life.. As a kid my parents would often take us on long drives through hilly terrain. And we've all seen mountains on TV and in movies... But somehow, nothing could ever have prepared me for my view of the mountains. Huge.... overshadowing anything else in the vicinity.... it sure is a humbling experience.

On my trip to the HImalayas, I did not take even a single picture. I just couldnt get myself to. Because no matter how hard I tried, I just couldnt capture the essense of the mountains... the grandeur as seen by the naked eye. Sometimes I really marvel at the way our eyes capture every detail of the world around us. With the mountains, there are so many hues... so many subtle variations that add to its beauty.. And nothing seems to capture it as the eye does.
The boat plunges into the deep ocean waters..
Really marvellous.

And so, I find myself using my camera lesser and lesser on this trip as well. It just seems like a waste to spend time trying to capture something that looks best viewed directly.

I'm sleepy and tired.. and yet, I just cant get my eyes off this landscape. Even as I type this, my eyes wander off to look outside the window every few minutes. And each time, the view takes my breath away. Literally!

The train has now left the main city area of Girdwood and is traversing through the Kenai mountain range. As we pass through the hearts of the mountains, the green hills give way to the dry ice capped peaks.. All wildlife seems to have been left behind and all I can see is a combination of grey and white.
Paradise Island, I call it!
And then... like a jewel embedded in the midst of it all - blue! A glacier! The first glacier I have ever seen in my life... and again, my camera and I fail to immortalise the sight. I carry it in my memory alone.

Sleep finally took over and I dozed away the last hour and a half of the train journey. Its 10:50 now. We are scheduled to arrive at Seaward at around 11:10 and then head for the boat that will take us into the Kenai Fjords.

Its been a nice lazy train journey. And except for the fact that I missed a shoulder to rest my head on, and an arm to cuddle against.. Its been nice :)

Oh I almost forgot. I lunched on some reindeer sausages and I didnt really like it much :D. ... Too tough for me. Juicy though

anupa_rk says:
:) Thanks May! I haven't thought about this trip in such a long time! I had a great time in Alaska. Such a beautiful place.. You should definitely visit.. Breathtaking views. I think scenic beauty wise, this is definitely on the top of my favorite places.
Posted on: Oct 07, 2013
cotton_foam says:
Awww, Anupa you are such a talented writer and a passionate person I can see!! This journal of Alaska just made me want more to visit this side of the country!! And to do it alone might even be more fulfilling! Thank you for such descriptive writing!! ~ May
Posted on: Sep 28, 2013
The train chugs closer to the moun…
The train chugs closer to the mou…
Lovely route
The boat plunges into the deep oce…
The boat plunges into the deep oc…
Time for some wildlife spotting