Day 13: From Cusco to Lima and onto the plane

Lima Travel Blog

It's one last early rise today, as we are about to take another early flight. Breakfast in the hotel is served, but service is half (no "hot stuff") - but by now we are already used to half-service in this hotel.

At the airport, a long line is waiting for the check-in. It takes us half an hour. Apparently the douanier on duty (the next queue) is quite astonished by my backpack, as he puts it through the scanner three times - before giving it his ok to pass. From there on its full sprint to the plane, as most of our group are still passing the check of the hand luggage while final boarding time passes (I'm one of them). So almost immediately after we board the plane, the doors close and the plane is set in motion. This time I am lucky: window seat - so airphotos!

This flight takes us to Lima in just over an hour.
Again, reclaiming our luggage goes very quickly, and in less than half an hour after disembarkation we are in the bus and on the move again. This last bus is a regular sized touring car, so the fifteen of us are almost lost in a bus of this size.

The final stage of our holiday in Peru is a citytour of Lima. From the airport we are taken to the Plaza Major for a tour of the cathedral. This huge building holds a lot to see, so we are walking inside for about an hour. From there we walk to the Franziscan abbey, passing the oldest train station of South America (now no longer in use). We get an extended tour through the building - taking photos is strictly prohibited, but when a bird of prey sits down on one of the towers while we are standing on the balcony, I take one afterall, thinking that being outside and photographing a free bird is not included in the prohibition.
Lima
I am wrong in that, as our local guide reprimands me about that photo (but I don't have to delete it, so I don't).

After the tour, there is some time left before the bus picks us up, so we assemble in front of the abbey for a group photo.

The bus takes us to our final stop in Peru: lunch in the shopping mall of Laco Mar. We take the lunch buffet, which tastes very good, while watching the view over the ocean and seeing some parasailers pass  by.

And then it is time for our final drive in Peru: to the airport. There we say goodbye to the family of four (they continue there holidays on Aruba), our tourguide (going on holiday herself to Equador) and the senior of our group (a retired reverent, going to visit a friend and colleague working in Lima).
Lima
So nine of us are left for the flight home.

My checking in online, which I did yesterday, now pays off, as I may skip the long queue in front of the check in,  just to drop off my luggage (and escape with 2.5 kg overweight - probably they correctly conclude that I have sponsored Peruvian economy already enough), to move on to the next stage: paying the flying tax.

There's a line there too, and having paid my $31.45, I join the next queue: checking the hand luggage and persons... and of course, the gate goes "bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep" when I go through. They officer searches me, but finds nothing suspicious (there was nothing to find either), so I may continue. The last hurdle before entering the tax free zone is the passport control, where my tourist visa is taken out of my passport.

The first thing I do, having passed all checks, is to phone home, after which I spend most of the time remaining spending my last few soles one playing cards, information books and presents for friends at home (yes, I finally buy some pisco).

Almost two hours after passing the passport control, we can board the plane via gate 015. In the plane, I immediately notice a problem: the remote control of the in flight entertainment system is missing, torn of at the connecting plug. When I ask the stewardess sometime later about it, there is nothing that can be done about it. Since there is no other seat at a window available, changing seats is not an option either. As "compensation" I may be the first to choose my meal. Some compensation! Luckily, the flight data are displayed on the central monitors too, so I can see what I wanted to see afterall.
.. for a while.

After that meal I chose as first (roasted almonds, chicken with rice, salad and rice pie), there's not much else to do than look outside, listen to some music (luckily I had my own MP3-player on me) and read a book, while watching the sun go down below the shifting horizon quite rapidly. In the darkness, I can still take some beautiful photos of the moon and its shine glimmering of the wings of the airplane, before I am the last to close my shutter for a very uncomfortable night (I really don't like moving sleeping places).
Lima
Lima (the forbidden photograph)
Lima (the forbidden photograph)
photo by: rsvpme