Final camp - McLeod Ganj

McLeod Ganj Travel Blog

Cool
Our final day's riding, and we awoke to yet another perfect sunny day to find that we'd camped on a path between villages, so I'm sure we provided plenty of entertainment for the locals as they went about their business. Our last day's riding was a high speed flat run to the turning for Dharamsala, then a final kick back uphill through the town to the settlement of McLeod Ganj above, home in exile of the Dalai Lama.

Once the road went vertical, for one final time I happily fell off the back of the peleton and settled into hill-crawling mode. It was going to school time and so several hundred children Namaste'd me as they passed in their smart uniform.
Finished!
The extent of the Tibetan community was immediately apparent by the appearance of those I passed. A shiny Landcruiser sped downhill, with sunglass-clad tourists in the back and I realised they were the first westerners I had seen since Rohtang pass, which was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away!

After the busy and scruffy town of Dharamsala the final stretch of road wound its way through a very British looking garrison camp, with cheerful guards eager to find out where we had ridden from. Unbelieveably, Cass, Katie, Jack, James and Mark had waited for me on the outskirts of town so we could celebrate the end of the ride together. Thanks guys - your patience won't be forgotten. Then, we happily wove our way through the streets to the hotel. The end - no more riding on this trip!!

Clean, showered and in fresh, non-biking clothes, a fine afternoon was spent exploring McLeod Ganj and, more importantly, downing my first beer for a fortnight!
Market
Market
McLeod Ganj
Im guessing this isnt a KFC...
I'm guessing this isn't a KFC...
photo by: Stevie_Wes