Peru 2007

Peru Travel Blog

Lima
This is a small blog about my travel around peru in 2007. After arriving me and a friend took a plane to Cusco where after 2 days of sightseeing
we started on the 4 day classic Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. It was a very beautifull trip. With a long hike uphill on i believe the second day. When arriving on the top everybody already there was chearing you on so it gave a special experience. Machu Picchu was great, however did they built that on that place.. At the town at the bottom of the site we went to a thermal bath and after 4 days of walking it was a welcome refreshment.
From Cusco we went to Puno by bus across the altiplano. In puno we took a bootride to the famous floating village. It was oke but not as spectaculair as i imagined.
Lima
.. From there on we went to Sun Island. And climbing that island to the top was short but increadibly hard.. I think it was because of the altitude... After Puno we went to Arequipa where we hiked the Colca Canyon to the place where you can see condors fly by. But our luck, it was raining so all the condors stayed at home. In arequipa we also climbed a volcano called Chachani which was over 6000 meters high. The summit day was long and at the night before very very cold. I was almost glad that a 3 o'clock at night we could start climbing so i could get out of our freezing tent. After a long walk uphill we arrived at the summit  and the views were spectacualair! A long way down through loose volcanic sand brought us back at the basecamp. I use the word basecamp loosely since it was just our tent and the tent of our guide.
Cusco

From Arequipa we went to Nasca where we took a flight over the also famous Nasca Lines which only took 15 minutes but it was more than enough. 5 minutes longer and i don't think i would have been able to keep my breakfast in :) The constant changing of cours in a small plane made me very nautious. Leaving Nasca our next stop was at the balestas islands. It was very nice. a lot of birds, seals and penquins were there and the smell of the place i cannot really describe. But it didn't smell like flowers over there. Well after balestas island we went to see some deserts at the beach and also went to visit something called The Cathedral, it was an natural bridge at the beach. But unfortunately after the big earthquake earlier that year it collapsed so there was only rubble left. From here we went to Lima and than for a 5 day stopover in New York and than back home.
Start of the Inca Trail
Lake Titicaca
Lake Titicaca
Floating Village
Floating Village
Bolivia on the otherside of the la…
Bolivia on the otherside of the l…
Children are always knitting..
Children are always knitting..
View of Puno