Shenandoah National Park

Luray Travel Blog

Shenandoah Valley tree/shadow

I drove pretty much the entire length of Shenandoah along Skyline Drive.  It was very pretty and my favorite stop was at a visitor center (I don't remember which one) were everyone was out taking pictures of the valley.  So I stopped to take a picture of the valley.  It was a little hazy, so I wasn't expecting the best picture.  As I walked up from the edge to the visitor center, I turned to look back one more time.  I was amazed at the wonderful composition that presented itself.  A large tree with few leaves on its branches was perfectly framing the left and top sides of my photo, while its shadow framed the bottom.  I wondered why no one else had seen this view. So I got a great shot of this tree and shadow that just happen to be framing the Shenandoah Valley.

I love driving winding roads, and this park had plenty of them!  Almost every bend had something to look at - a view of the valley, trees, or a rock outcrop.  It was a beautiful day, so I drove with my windows down enjoying it.  I didn't have any time to hike because I was on my way back to Kingsport and I had to work early the next morning.  Driving through the park nearly doubled my driving time, but it was worth it.

Shenandoah Valley
Tunnel in Shenandoah N.P.
Tunnel in Shenandoah N.P.
lake in Shenandoah N.P.