Heading out

Atlanta Travel Blog

Where to?

I had been planning this little getaway for a few weeks and then I read the news today, oh boy!

Tropical Storm Ana was heading towards the island.  Well, Ana fizzled out.  But then came hurricane Bill.   I decided to postpone the trip until the following week.   I kept a watch on the weather and saw that Bill was projected to turn north about 300-400 miles from the island and totally miss.   Great news!   The trip planning was back on.   The flights were wide open in each direction since it is low season so I booked a hotel on Wednesday evening and departed Indianapolis on Thursday morning.

I flew a Delta Connection Embraer 175 from Indianapolis to Atlanta and got first class.  The flight was smooth and we were there in just over an hour.

Inflight meal
  The next leg was a Delta 737-700, this time in business class.  It was a smooth flight of about 3 and a half hours.   I was impressed with the Delta meal and inflight entertainment, but then again I am partial.  You can listen to CDs and even create your own playlist.  I spent the time listening to a mix of Depeche Mode, New Order, ABBA, Fleetwood Mac, and Sting.    The meal was a chicken stir-fry with a salad and chocolate cake.   I drank some gin and tonics.

Our flight path took us down through Georgia and into Florida.  We flew directly over Jacksonville and then went south along the Florida coast until about Cocoa Beach.   We then went east over the ocean, crossing over Nassau and on down into Saint Maarten.

At about 2pm we were on approach over the famous Maho Beach.    This is one of the big reasons I came to Saint Maarten.    The aircraft make a very low approach over the water and seem to just clear the airport fence.   There are many videos and pictures of this on the net, just google SXM or Maho Beach to see.

Customs and Immigration took about 15 minutes and I seemed to be in the slowest line.   Next it was off to Maho Beach!

Stigen says:
Looks really decent the flight !
Posted on: Oct 23, 2009
sarahsan says:
What a nice start on your trip!
Posted on: Aug 27, 2009
jjohnson1321 says:
Sounds like you had a great trip. By the way Love the Pics of First Class Meal. LOL..... You flew over Florida, but when r u really going to come down for a visit???
Posted on: Aug 26, 2009
Over the Bahamas
Over the Bahamas
Halfway there!
Halfway there!
my boarding pass to paradise!
my boarding pass to paradise!
2,745 km (1,706 miles) traveled