Meeting Mark (Travelman727) at Jaxson's Ice cream parlor

Florida Travel Blog

The Original Kitchen Sink: famous sign outside of Jaxson's is also the selling face of this historic Ice Cream Parlor. After finding out that our flights would be arriving and departing within a few hours of each other, Mark (Travelman727) and I (Africancrab) decided we would meet in Fort Lauderdale before my flight out on Aug 24th since I would not be making it to the Miami meet-up that evening. Our host Joanne (Flyinhigh) suggested Jaxson's as a great place to meet since it is just a few minutes away from Fort Lauderdale airport. Jaxson's is well known in Dania Beach as the "Brain Freeze Heaven" following a news paper publication about this famous location with it's kitschy decor and more than 60 flavours of ice cream.

For the last 50 years, this Ice cream parolor has built a reputation for service and good Ice cream. The history of Jaxson's is that the owner Udell got the idea to open an Ice Cream parlor after helping his father run a hot dog stand on Hollywood beach many years back. Jaxson's is now apart of the hostory of Dania Beach, one must not visit Dania Beach and leave without a stop at Jaxson's. But I want to write today about the best Hot dog I have ever eaten and it was served at Jaxson's.

When Mark (travelman727) arrived from the airport with Robert (rvegas), Joanne (Flyinhigh) and I were already at Jaxson's, we had in fact taken more than a dozen photos and decided to go find a seat inside: the heat outside was rather prickly. When we were all seated, we decided to make the orders, Mark asked what Jaxson's was famous for, Joanne replied "Ice Cream" Mark and Robert proceeded to order ice cream, Joanne and I were hungry for food, so she decided she would order a hot dog meal (comes with pickles, fries and onions, she added a side order of chillies.

I decided to order the same, I love hot dogs, but I had never seen a hot dog this big and served the way it was done at Jaxson's. Joanne warned me not to order the full meal saying it was HUGE!, I listened to her and was glad I did. Mark and Robert each ordered ice cream and were served such large portions that they were un able to finish. I tasted some of Mark's and Robert's Ice cream though: the chocolate mint was delicious.

Africancrab says:
I'm glad I did too. Look forward to meeting you dear :)
Posted on: Aug 30, 2009