Last day on the island and the flight from hell

Grenada Travel Blog

Woke to sunny skies at 7:30 after the first decent night's sleep this week and set about the dismal task of packing 'cause the bags needed to be outside the room by 10:00.  We had to be out of the room by 11:00 and they wouldn't give us an extension.  We put the bags out at 9:00, went to breakfast.  For the first time, service was absolutely horrid.  There were lots of tables unoccupied but they hadn't been cleared so we had to ask someone to buss a table.  Then it took forever to get utensils and even longer to get coffee and tea.  Absolutely terrible.

Went back to the room to pick up the remaining gear, checked out and left the carry-ons at reception.

Went to get a post card in the gift shop but were told we'd have to come back tomorrow for stamps.  This was the same shop that doesn't carry men's deodorant and was out of bug repellant in a resort over-run with mosquitoes.  I allowed her to keep the postcard.

Talked to Richard on the way to the beach and we decided to take out a Hobie.  Headed towards St. George's.  Seas were high and winds strong so we got soaked.  They hadn't given me a limit on distance so I kept going but told Richard I half-expected them to come after us.  I came about off the mouth of St. George's harbor and had gone a half-mile or so when I saw the boat coming with two very unhappy guys telling us we'd gone too far.  They kept station on our port quarter until we were virtually on the beach; I guess they figured we'd turn around if they left us.  I expected to get some lip from the attendant on the beach but he had the wisdom to be polite.

Read for a while on the beach, had lunch with Karen and Richard, then returned to the beach where we sat until 3:15.  Said good bye to Brian and Susan, picked up the bags from reception, and climbed up to the hospitality room (1522). The girl we'd ridden in with from the airport was just finishing up there.  Showered, changed, and got to the terrace by 3:50 to say good-bye to Karen & Richard who had a couples massage booked for 4:00.  Had tea on the terrace and headed out.  Pick up was by limo at 5:30.  The girl we'd come in with was still nowhere to be found.  I told the driver I'd have a look.

Found her on the Terrace and she said she'd come later.  Turned out she was the smart one.  We were checked in quickly and ended up standing around.  We stayed outside thinking things would be hot and stuffy at the gate.  When we got inside, we realized we'd made another mistake, it was air conditioned and quite pleasant and there were some pretty good duty free shops.  I bought a liter of Bailey's, thereby using up the balance of my folding EC currency.  We'd changed 300 US to 750EC and that was about right.

The plane (an Airbus A 320) was coming from St. Lucia with close to a full load and had a broken air conditioner so it was a damned hot box.  Lin and I were cross-aisles in 7 but the centers were both taken so we moved to 10D&F.  Only bad news is it was in front of the exit so the seats wouldn't recline.  The chicken "dinner" was considerably less than touted on the Air Jamaica website.  The plane never did cool down and they ran out of ice about an hour into the 5 hour flight.  All in all, it was a flight from hell.
Richard & Karen